On tap for January 8-9, 2005
Here are some of the high points in opera listening throughout the weekend over the Internet:
- Front and center is Bellini's Capuleti e i Montecchi and Verdi's Otello.
- The Bellini is from this past summer's Salzburg Festival and will be heard over KLARA with the marvelous trio of Anna Netrebko, Daniela Barcellona and Joseph Calleja! Operacast is in the process this weekend of retooling its audio links for KLARA's revised stream picture. So to listen this afternoon, you might want to go directly to KLARA's home page at http://www.klara.be/
- This afternoon's MET Otello features Ben Heppner and Barbara Frittoli under James Levine. Carlo Guelfi, today's scheduled Iago, is indisposed and Frederick Burchinal will take his place.For this broadcast, many stations are available. You can check out the choices at http://www.operacast.com/met2004.htm
- Also this Saturday, those who missed the Sondra Radvanovsky Vespri Siciliani at the opening of the MET b'cast season have another chance to catch this performance on FRANCE MUSIQUES.
- And the next day, WQED starts a rare hearing (in two parts) of Verdi's original French-language Vepres Siciliennes.
- Another MET rebroadcast this Saturday is Christmas Day's spellbinding Katya Kabanova under the fine Jiri Belohlávek, featuring the magnetic Karita Mattila, with colleagues Jorma Silvasti and Vladimir Ognovenko. This is being heard over RADIO OESTERREICH INTERNATIONAL.
- (The next day, you can also catch Jorma Silvasti with Anna Larsson in Lied von der Erde over DR KLASSISK.)
- Those in an exploratory vein today can tune in to RADIO 4 NETHERLANDS for Tan Dun's Tea conducted by the composer.
- The superb Philippe Jordan conducts Ariadne auf Naxos on MUSIQ3.
- A curiosity: today's NPR World of Opera offering features Verdi's original Gustavo III, the ur-Ballo in Maschera. A must for Verdi aficionados.
- An NPR World of Opera rebroadcast gives us another chance to hear Erwin Schrott's Pharoah in Rossini's Moses and Pharoah.
- We hear the old Ivan Petrov recording of Rimsky-Korsakov's Tsar Saltan over ESPACE 2.
- On Sunday, baritone Thomas Quasthoff is heard in recital over BBC RADIO 3.
- On the same day, one can catch Sandor Konya and Franz Crass in Act I of a "live" Parsifal under Eugen Jochum, 1971, carried by RADIO CLASICA DE ESPANA.
- John Tomlinson and Ildiko Komlosi are also heard over BBC RADIO 3 in last summer's Bluebeard's Castle from the Proms.
- In celebration of what Renata Tebaldi gave to so many of us, UNIVALLE ESTEREO offers a rare "live" La Wally from 1968 with Carlo Bergonzi opposite the Wally of Mme. Tebaldi.
Wishing you happy listening and a Happy New Year,