This Afternoon's Lineup
Some of the more interesting offerings on the net this afternoon include the continuation of the Netherlands Opera Ring Cycle with Siegfried; from French Radio Canada, a rerun of the Opera Bastille Tristan und Isolde with Ben Heppner and Waltraud Meier; a performance of Schubert's Alfonso und Estrella; from Teatro San Carlo in Naples; a February 2004 performance of L'elisir d'amore with Matthew Polenzani; Rossini's Guillaume Tell with Thomas Hampson, Marcello Giordano and Iano Tamar; from Teatro Real in Madrid, a performance of Don Giovanni with Carlos Alvarez, Maria Bayo, Sonia Ganassi and José Bros; a rerun of The Maid of Orleans with Mirella Freni from Washington Opera; and various and sundry tributes to Luciano Pavarotti on the occasion of his seventieth birthday (celebrated on October 12th of this past week).
Here's the complete rundown:
- RADIO 4 NETHERLANDS - Wagner's Siegfried from De Nederlandse Opera, with Albert Dohmen, Anne Gjevang, Stig Andersen, Nadine Secunde, Oleg Bryjak and Graham Clark, conducted by Helmut Haenschen.
- ESPACES MUSIQUES (French Radio Canada) - a rerun of the May 2005 Opéra Bastille Tristan und Isolde, with Ben Heppner, Waltraud Maier, Jukka Rasilainen, Yvonne Naef, Franz-Josef Selig, Toby Spence and Alexander Marco-Buhrmeister, conducted by Esa Pekka Salonen. [There is some confusion about the start time for this broadcast - I would tune in at Noon Eastern Time to see if it is starting earlier than their usual 1:00pm start time due to the length of the opera.]
- DEUTSCHLANDRADIO KULTUR - a concert performance from August of this year of Schubert's Alfonso und Estrella, with Dorothea Röschmann, Kurt Streit, Matthias Goerne, Christian Gerhaher and Hanno Müller-Brachmann, conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt.
- KLARA - From Antwerp an October 13th performance of Richard Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos, with Mariana Svetkova, Jeffrey Dowd, Stephanie Houtzeel, Sine Bundgaard, Sten Byriel, Guy De Mey, Quirijn de Lang, Pascal Charbonneau, Huube Claessens, Patrick Henckens, Hendrickje Van Kerckhove, and Corinne Romijn, conducted by Ivcan Törz.
- RDP ANTENA 2 - Live from Teatro San Carlo in Naples, Donizetti's L'Elisir d'amore, with Matthew Polenzani, Mary Dunleavy, Pietro Spagnoli, Ildebrando D’Arcangelo, and Cristina Pastorello, conducted by Paolo Arrivabeni.
- NPR WORLD OF OPERA - From Washington National Opera, a performance of Saint-Saens' Samson et Dalila, with Olga Borodina, Karl Tanner, Alan Held and Kyle Ketelson, conducted by Giovanni Reggioli.
- BBC RADIO 3 - La Simphonie du Marais revives Lully's tragic opera Isis, with Françoise Masset, Isabelle Desrochers, Valérie Gabail, Guillemette Laurens, Robert Getchell, Howard Crook, Bertrand Chuberre, Bernard Deletré and Renaud Delaigue, conducted by Hugo Reyne.
- CESKY ROZHLAS 3-VTAVA - From Pollack Hall in Montreal, Händel's Alcina, with Karina Gauvin, Christine Brandes, Krosztine Szabó, Marie-Nicole Lemieux, Nathaniel Watson, Benjamin Butterfield and Shannon Mercer, conducted by Bernard Labadie.
- MDR FIGARO - A rerun of the Covent Garden La Fanciulla del West, with José Cura, Andrea Gruber and Mark Delavan, conducted by Piero Faggioni.
- NRK P2 - Hans Gefors opera Skuggan, based on a novel by H.C. Andersen.
- RADIO OESTERREICH INTERNATIONAL - A September 19th performance from Wiener Staatsoper of Rossini's Guillamue Tell, with Thomas Hampson, Marcello Giordani and Iano Tamar, conducted by Bertrand de Billy.
- ESPACE 2 - A Septemebr 28th performance from Lausanne of Verdi's Rigoletto, with Giuseppe Filianoti, Carlos Almaguer, Nicoleta Ardelean and Jean Teitgen, conducted Paolo Arrivabeni.
- LATVIA RADIO KLASIKA, SVERIGES RADIO P2 and RADIO SLOVENIA TRETJI - From Teatro Real in Madrid, Mozart's Don Giovanni, with Carlos Álvarez, María Bayo, Sonia Ganassi, María José Moreno, José Bros, Lorenzo Regazzo and José Antonio López, conducted by Víctor Pablo.