Offerings for Saturday, April 8
The big offerings this weekend seem to be the Met's Manon with Renée Fleming and Wagner's Rheingold, from this past February at the Chatelet in Paris with the Wotan of Jukka Rasilainen, the Fricka of Mihiko Fujimura, the Alberich of Sergei Leiferkus and the Mime of Volker Vogel, under the baton of Christoph Eschenbach. But, as usual there are some other things out there, including a couple or rarities, that are worth a listen. And since Holy Week is almost upon us, you can expect a fair sampling of oratorio and sacred vocal music over the next week or so. Here's the rundown of live performances available on Saturday:
- RDP ANTENA 2 (Portugal), FRANCE MUSIQUES, LATVIA RADIO KLASIKA, RADIO TRE (RAI) - The aforementioned Rheingold from Chatelet in Paris.
- DEUTSCHLANDRADIO KULTUR - a live concert performance from March, 2005 of Georg Philipp Telemann's Der für die Sünden der Welt gemarterte und sterbende Jesus ("Brockes-Passion") under René Jacobs, with Annette Dasch, Dietrich Henschel, Sandrine Piau, Kobie van Rendsburg and Marie-Claude Chappuis.
- KLARA and MUSIQ3 - a performance of Paisiello's Il barbiere di Siviglia, with Stefano Ferrari, Elena Monti, Luciano di Pasquale, Giulio Mastrototaro, Filippo Morace and Nabil Suliman, Rinaldo Alessandrini conducting.
- DWOJKE POLSKIE RADIO - a performance of Verdi's Requiem with Gweneth-Ann Jeffers, Anna Luban'ska, Michal Lehotsky and Daniel Borowski, conducted by Gabriel Chmura.
- METROPOLITAN OPERA BROADCAST - Massenet's Manon with Renée Fleming, Massimo Giordano, Jean-Luc Chaignaud, Hao Jiang Tian, Monica Yunus, Kate Lindsey , Sandra Piques Eddy, Jean-Paul Fouchécourt and William Shimell, conducted by Jesús López-Cobos.
- RADIO OESTERREICH INTERNATIONAL - a live performance of Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande from the Salzburg Festival Easter Festival, with Simon Keenlyside, Angelika Kirchschlager, Robert Lloyd, José von Dam and Anna Larsson, conducted by Simon Rattle.
- SVERIGES RADIO P2 - a live performance from Norrlandsoperan, Umeå, of Daniel Börtz's opera, Svall, with Liine Carlsson, Katarina Giotas, Ingela Berglund, John Sax, Jon Nilsson, Per-Arne Wahlgren, Karl Rombo and JohnErik Eleby, conducted by Jan Söderblom.
- NPR WORLD OF OPERA - a performance of Mozart's La Clemenza di Tito, with Alexandrina Pendatchanska, Mark Padmore, Bernada Fink, Marie-Claude Chappuis, Sunhae Im and Sergio Foresti, conducted by René Jacobs. Note also that WDAV is one week behind the regular schedule, so if you did not hear Handel's Atalanta last week, today you will have abother chance to do so.
- ESPACE 2 - a January, 2006 performance of Haydn's Il Mondo della Luna, from Fribourg, with Patricia Schnell, Mathias Vidal, Kelly Hodson, Marie-Bénédicte Souquet, Carmine Monaco, Stefano Benini and Marie Kalinine, conducted by Laurent Gendre.
- CATALUNYA MÚSICA - a lieder recital with Julianne Banse, accompanied by Justus Zeyen, piano.
- RDP ANTENA 2 - Frank Martin's oratorio Gólgota, with Cornelia Hosp, Annette Markert, Jorge Perdigón, Petteri Salomaa, Jean-Philippe Courtis and Norbert Zeilberger, conducted by Herbert Böck.
- WCLV - live from Severance Hall, a special Cleveland Orchestra performance of Bach's St. Matthew Passion with Malin Hartelius, Bernarda Fink, Christoph Strehl, James Taylor, Christian Gerhaher and Olaf Bär, conducted by Franz Welser-Möst.