Saturday, May 20, 2006
Here's a lineup of special live offerings for this afternoon:
- DR P2, Latvia Radio Klasika, Musiq3, France Musique, RDP Antena 2, Radio Slovenia Tretji, and Radio Tre (RAI) - Verdi's Simon Boccanegra from Opera Bastille, featuring Carlos Alvarez, Ana Maria Martinez and either Neil Shicoff or Stefan Secco, depending on which source one trusts; Sylvain Cambreling conducts.
- There is also another Simon Boccanegra over
- Radio 4 Netherlands with Andrzej Dobber, Angela Marambio and exciting up-and-coming Alfredo Portilla in the cast, conducted by Ingo Metzmacher.
- France Musiques - From last year, a Rome Opera performance of Rossini's Semiramide, with Darina Takova, Daniela Barcellona and Michele Pertusi, under the baton of Gianluigi Gelmetti.
- You can again catch this month's superb Boris Godunov, a production based on the original shorter version, over
- KLARA, with Jose Van Dam, Vsevelod Grivnov and Anatoly Kotscherga, conducted by Kazushi Ono.
- NPR World of Opera - A performance of Schubert's Alfonso und Estrella, with Dorothea Röschmann, Kurt Streit, Christian Gerhaher, Jochen Schmeckenbecher and Hanno Müller-Brachmann, conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - A rerun of this season's broadcast from the Metropolitan Opera of Massenet's Manon, with Renee Fleming and Massimo Giordano, conducted by Jesus Lopez-Cobos.
- The Opera Stage/European Opera series presents a Covent Garden Fanciulla del West, with Andrea Gruber, Jose Cura and Mark Delavan, under Antonio Pappano.
- BBC Radio 3 - A rare chance to hear Vaughan Williams's Sir John in Love, with Andrew Shore, Jean Rigby, Alastair Miles, Marie McLaughlin, Sally Burgess, Nicholas Folwell, Robert Tear and others, conducted by Oleg Caetani.
- We also hear the same Shak[e]speare story over CBC TWO - this time, Verdi's Falstaff from Vienna, with Ambrogio Maestri, Krassimira Stoyanova, Jane Henschel, and Daniele Gatti conducting.
- More to come in a follow-up posting. Stay tuned.