Offerings for Saturday, September 16, 2006
A bumper crop of interesting offerings is available for your listening pleasure today.
Of primary interest, please note that KUHF in Houston (bless 'em!) are broadcasting the "missing" Rossini Barber of Seville from the World of Opera series, with Joyce Di Donato. If you haven't had a chance to catch this (NPR goofed last month and reran the previous week's Barber, by Paisiello, when this was supposed to be broadcast, and most of the NPR stations merely moved on to the next item on the schedule) here's your chance. (I have a feeling that Opera Stage or some other series will pick it up, so hopefully we haven't heard the last of this sterling performance.) Another prime performance comes from Sweden's Sveriges Radio P2 - a Stockholm performance of Wagner's Siegfried with the extraordinary Wanderer of Terje Stensvold (the original schedule listing had been for the Bayreuth Siegfried, but we think this performance will be a marked improvement!). Don't miss it.
And, in case you can't get enough of Joyce Di Donato, Bartok Radio is airing a Benvenuto Cellini with Di Donato, Patricia Ciofi, Gregory Kunde and Laurent Naouri, conducted by John Nelson.
BBC 3 is offering a concert performance of Wagner's Die Meistersinger from this year's Edinburgh Festival, with Jonas Kaufmann, Hillevi Martinpelto, Robert Holl, Toby Spence, Wendy Dawn Thompson, Andrew Shore and Matthew Rose, conducted by David Robertson.
There are three Bayreuth reruns available today:
Radio Oesterreich International and Radio Latvia Klasika - Das Rheingold
Radio Slovenia Tretji - Siegfried
Other live offerings include:
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - A Berlin Philharmonic performance of Mahler's Second Symphony with Soile Isokoski and Magdalena Kozena, conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.
- DR P2 - From this past July's Montpellier Festival, a performance of Marais' Semele with Blandine Staskiewicz, Bénédicte Tauran, Hjordis Thébault, Emiliano Gonzalez-Toro, Stephan McLeod, Thomas Dolié and Marc Labonnette, conducted by Hervé Niquet.
- Espace Musiques (French CBC) - From Lisbon, a March 2005 performance of Rossini's La Donna del Lago with Rockwell Blake, Laura Polvarelli, Silvia Tro Sanrafè, Simon Orfila, Archibald Douglas and Robert McPherson, conducted by Riccardo Frizza.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - A 2000 performance from Nederlansche Oper of Strauss' Capriccio with Hartmut Haenchen, Gabriele Fontana, Olaf Bär, Rainer Trost and Dietrich Henschel, conducted by Andreas Homoki.
- WQXR - From the 1966 Bayreuth Festival, Wagner's Tristan und Isolde with Birgit Nilsson and Wolfgang Windgassen, conducted by Karl Bohm.
- NPR's World of Opera (on numerous stations) - A performance of Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore from Washington National Opera, with Elizabeth Futral, Paul Groves, Marc Barrard, Steven Condy and Christina Martos, conducted by Emmanuel Villaume. (One or two stations will be carrying the Domingo Trilogy that was originally broadcast last week on World of Opera).
- NDR Kultur - Verdi's Otello live from Niedersächsischen Staatsoper, with Janez Lotric, Brian Davis, Brigitte Hahn, Pedro Velázquez Díaz and Khatuna Mikaberidze, conducted by Wolfgang Bozic.
- NRK Alltid Klassisk and NRK P2 - From the Royal Opera House Covent Garden comes a February 2006 performance of Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro, with Erwin Schrott, Miah Persson, Jonathan Veira, Graciela Araya, Rinat Shaham, Gerald Finley, Philip Langridge and Dorothea Röschmann, conducted by Antonio Pappano.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - From Vienna Staatsoper, a 2005 performance of Verdi's Falstaff, with Ambrogio Maestri, Daniel Boaz, Saimir Pirgu, Krasimira Stojanovová, Tatiana Lisnic, Jane Henschel and Nadia Krasteva, conducted by Daniele Gatti.
- Espace 2 and Radio Tre (RAI) - From La Fenice a performance of Cavalli's Didone, with Claron McFadden, Magnus Staveland, Jordi Domenech, Manuela Custer and Maria Grazia Schiavo, conducted by Fabio Biondi.
- Klara - A Glyndebourne performance of Mozart's Cosi fan tutte, with Miah Persson, Anke Vondung, Topi Lehtipuu, Luca Pisaroni, Nicolas Rinvenq and Ainhoa Garmendia, conducted by Ivan Fischer.
- WOMR - Is offering the final entry in the Opera Stage/European Opera series - Bellini's Norma, with Edita Gruberova, Sonia Ganassi and Zoran Todorovich, conducted by Friedrich Haider.
- RDP Antena 2 - A rebroadcast of last season's Washington National Opera performance of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess, with Indira Mahajan, Angela Simpson, Gordon Hawkins, Terry Cook, Laquita Mitchell, Marietta Simpson, Eric Green and Jermaine Smith, conducted by Wayne Marshall.