Glad Tidings . . . . .
On a very hectic Holiday weekend, keep a sharp lookout for the myriad Messiahs and Christmas Oratorios to be heard in the next several days - the OperaCast elves have ferretted out a goodly number!
For pure operatic pleasure, however, here are some of the choicer offerings for this afternoon:
- Catalunya Musica - Already underway is a performance of Handel's Semele with Norma Burrowes, Della Jones, Patricia Kwella, Elizabeth Priday, Timothy Penrose, Anthony Roefe-Johnson and the Monteverdi Choir under the baton of John Eliot Gardiner, to be followed by a Messiah (one of the many we have found), and then, in a sharp change of mood, hear Schubert's Winterreise, in a 2001 performance by Christian Gerhaer, Gerold Huber on piano.
- NRK Alltid Klassisk - Before it airs this afternoon's Don Carlo from the Met, they are broadcasting a 1950 Glyndebourne Festrival performance of Mozart's Così fan tutte with Sena Jurinac, Blanche Thebom, Richard Lewis, Erich Kunz, Mario Borriello and Alda Noni, all under the direction of Fritz Busch.
- France Musique - From Dresden Staatsoper, a performance of Humperdinck's Hänsel and Gretel, with Anke Vondung, Lydia Teuscher, Hans-Joachim Ketelsen, Irmgard Vilsmaier, Iris Vermillon and Christiane Hossfeld, Michael Hofstetter conducting.
- DR P2 - From Vienna Staatsoper, a November performance of Bellini's La Sonnambula, with Anna Netrebko, Michele Pertusi, Antonino Seragusa and Simina Ivan, conducted by Pier Giorgio Morandi.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - From De Nederlandse Opera, a liver performance of Mozart's Così fan tutte, with Sally Matthews, Maite Beaumont, Luca Pisaroni, Norman Shankle and Danielle de Niese, conducted by Ingo Metzmacher.
- Metropolitan Opera (numerous stations)- Note the early start time (1:00PM Eastern Standard Time) Verdi's Don Carlo, with Johan Botha, Rene Pape, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Samuel Ramey, Patricia Racette and Olga Borodina, James Levine conducting.
- NPR World of Opera (numerous stations) - Most stations will be carrying a concert performance of Humperdinck's Hänsel and Gretel from Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, with Heidi Grant Murphy, Susanne Mentzer, Judith Forst, Robert Orth, Janice Taylor and Anna Christy, conducted by Adreas Delfs. WMUK will be airing last week's NPR offering, Schumann's Scenes from Faust from Cleveland's Severance Hall, with Thomas Hampson, Julianne Banse, Alan Held, John Tessier, Lee Taylor, Natasha Uspensky, Katie Leemhuis, Katherine Lerner and Curtis Streetman, Franz Welser-Möst conducting.
- MDR Figaro - A 2006 Salzburg Festival performance of Mozart's Il Re Pastore, with Kresimir Spicer, Annette Dasch, Marlis Petersen, Arpiné Rahdjian, Andreas Karasiak, Thomas Hengelbrock conducting.
- Radio Oesterreich International - Yet another airing of La Scala' Opening Night Aida with Violeta Urmana, Roberto Alagna, Ildiko Komlosy, Carlo Guelfi and Giorgio Giuseppini, conducted by Riccardo Chailly.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - From the 2006 Salzburg Festival, Mozart's La Clemenza di Tito, with Michael Schade, Dorothea Röschmann, Vesselina Kasarova, Alexandra Kurzak, Malena Ernman and Luca Pisaroni, conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt.
- Bayern 4 Klassik - Bach's Weihnachtsoratorium, BWV 248, with Juliane Banse, Cornelia Kallisch, Markus Schäfer, Robert Swensen, Thomas Quasthoff, Windsbacher Knabenchor and Münchner Bachsolisten, conducted by Karl-Friedrich Beringer.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - A performance of Smetana's Hubicka, with Karel Kalaš, Ludmila Cervinková, Beno Blachut, Premysl Kocí, Marta Krásová, Štefa Petrová, Vladimír Jedenáctík and Karel Hruška, conducted by Zdenek Chalabala.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - Live from Philharmonie Berlin, a performance of Berlioz's L'Enfance du Christ, with Yvonne Naef, Mark Padmore, Ralf Lukas, Gilles Chachemaille, RIAS Kammerchor, Berliner Mädchenchor and Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, conducted by Sir Roger Norrington.
- Espace 2 - A June 2006 performance of Baldassare Galuppi's Le Nozze di Dorina from Potsdam, with Joseph Cornwell, Xenia Meijer, Maria Grazia Schiavo, Giulio Mastrototaro, Cecile de Boever, Matthias Vieweg and Hans Jörg Mammel, conducted by Sergio Azzolini.
- Klara - From earlier this month a Vienna Staatsoper performance of Strauss's Arabella, with Adrianne Pieczonka, Genia Kühmeier and Thomas Hampson, conducted by Franz Welser-Möst.
- Latvia Radio Klasika - Yet another Hänsel and Gretel, this one with the Berlin Philharmonic, Suzanna Bullock, Mihala Kaune, Katarina Karneus, Jane Henschel, Franz Grundheber, conducted by Marks Elder.
And those are the live offerings for this week.
Happy listening and Happy Holidays!
Labels: Saturday Operas