Saturday's Offerings - 1/20/07 - Part 2
With the Metropolitan Opera on its mid-January hiatus this week, most of the European stationa on its network have chosen not ot carry the 1958 Callas. Several are carrying their own live operas from other venues (including BBC 3, btw), while two have chosen to air Met broadcasts from earlier in the season (if you missed them, you can still catch The First Emperor and Don Carlos - see below).
And continuing with the listings:
- Metropolitan Opera (numerous stations and also on the Met's own Real Player stream) - A rebroadcast of a performance originally aired on December 8, 1956, of Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor, with Maria Callas, Giuseppe Campora, Enzo Sordello, Nicola Moscona, and James McCracken, conducted by Fausto Cleva. Lyric FM in Ireland will, per usual, be carrying this on a delayed basis.
- NRK Alltid Klassisk & NRK P2 - From Covent Garden in London, a December 30th performance of Bizet's Carmen, with Marina Domashenko, Marco Berti, Laurent Naouri, Liping Zhang, Roderick Earle, Grant Doyle, Ana James and Liora Grodnikaite, conducted by Philippe Auguin.
- WVIK (NPR World of Opera) - From Lausanne, Switzerland, Rossini's Il Turco in Italia, with Inga Kalna, Kenneth Tarver (who just this week made quite a splash as the Rodrigo in Rossini's Otello with OONY at Carnegie Hall), Riccardo Novaro, Brigitte Hool, Simone Alaimo, Alberto Rinaldi and Davide Cicchetti, conducted by Paolo Arrivabeni.
- Espace 2 - Yet another rebroadcast of the December 7th Opening Night La Scla Aida with Roberto Alagna, Violeta Urmana, Ildiko Komlosi, and Carlo Guelfi, conducted by Riccardo Chailly.
- Latvia Radio Klasika - As it operatic offerin, an October 25th performance from Vienna of Bellini's La Sonnambula with Anna Netrebko, Antonio Siragusa, Mikele Pertusi and Simina Ivana, conducted by Giorgio Morandi.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - From Teatro San Carlo in Naples, Bernstein's Candide, with Brandon Jovanovitch, Laura Aikin, Alan Opie, Carole Farley, William Dazeley, Cinzia Rizzone, John Graham-Hall, Gregory Bonfatti, Armando Gabba, Hector Guedes, Thomas Morris and Andrea Martin, conducted by Jeffrey Tate.
- WOMR - After it's airing of the Met's historic Callas Lucia, this station will carry David Frost's December 10, 1970 interview with Maria Callas.
- A couple of European stations are taking the opportunity presented by the Met's January hiatus to catch up on past broadcasts. If you missed them, now is your chance to hear Don Carlo (on Sveriges P2) or The First Emperor (on Klara).
Labels: Saturday Operas