Thr First Emperor and all that....
As was the case last week, all eyes are on the Met, this time for it's broadcast of Tan Dun's new opera The First Emperor. As a result there are fewer live offerings elsewhere this weekend. Also, with New Zealand and Australian stations now broadcasting the Met on a three or four week delay, there is now opportunity to catch up with any of the previous Met offerings that you may have missed.
Here's the lineup of live offerings for Saturday and Sunday:
- Radio Oesterreich International - From Linz, a December 3rd performance of Kienzl's Das Testament, with Klaus-Dieter Lerche, Cassandra McConnell, Christian Zenker, Martin Achrainer, Hans-Günther Müller and Franz Binder, conducted by Ingo Ingensand. [It is Kienzl's birthday about now, so on Sunday, WPRB will be offering a recording of Kienzl's Der Evangelimann.]
- WMUK (NPR World of Opera) - Another chance to hear last week's NPR offering, a performance of Verdi's Otello from the Vienna State Opera, with Johan Botha, Krassimira Stoyanova (who does some really lovely singing here, we thought), Falk Struckmann, Marian Talaba, Cosmin Ifrim, Nadia Krasteva, Ain Anger and Vladimir Moroz, conducted by Daniele Gatti.
- WVIK, WDAV (both NPR World of Opera) & Latvia Radio Klasika - From last summers's Salzburg Festival, Mozart's Lucia Silla, with Roberto Saccà, Annick Massis, Monica Bacelli, Veronica Cangemi, Stefano Ferrari and Julia Kleiter, conducted by Tomas Netopi.
- Metropolitan Opera (on numerous stations) - A live performance of Tanb Dun's The FIrst Emperor, with Placido Domingo, Elizabeth Futral, Paul Groves, Hao Jiang Tian, Michelle DeYoung, Haijing Fu, Wu Hsing-Kuo and Suzanne Mentzer, conducted by Tan Dun. Note that Ireland's Lyric FM will be carrying this on a delayed basis, starting at GMT 2000/EST 3:00PM.
- Concert FM (New Zealand) - The Metropolitan Opera broadscast of Verdi's Rigoletto, with Ekaterina Siurina, Joseph Calleja, Carlos Álvarez, Robert Lloyd and Nancy Fabiola Herrera, conducted by Friedrich Haider.
- ABC Classic FM (Australian Broadcasting) - Will be offering it's first Metropolitan Opera broadcast of the season, Mozart's Idomeneo, with Dorothea Röschmann, Alexandra Deshorties, Magdalena Kozená, Kobie van Rensburg, Jeffrey Francis, Simon O'Neill, conducted by James Levine.
- Catalunya Musica - A performance from Geneva of Verdi's Jérusalem, with Marina Mescheriakova, Marcello Giordani, Roberto Scandiuzzi, Philippe Rouillon and Simon Edwards, conducted by Fabio Luisi.
- Radio Cultura - Last week's Metropolitan Opera broadcast, Bellini's I Puritani, with Anna Netrebko, Eric Cutler, Franco Vassalo and John Relyea, conducted by Patrick Summers.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - From Teatro La Fenice di Venezia, a performance of Meyerbeer's Il Crociato in Egitto, with Marco Vinco, Laura Polverelli, Bruce Ford and Flavio Oliver,conducted by Emmanuel Villaume.
- RDP Antena 2 - A September 2005 performance of Anfossi's La Finta Giardiniera, with Maria Grazia Schiavo, Valentina Varriale, Doledad Cardoso, Léa Pasquel, Daniele Maniscalchi, Laurent Bourdeaux and Pierrick Boisseau, conducted by Antonio Florio.
- Bayern 4 Klassik - A performance of Franz Waxman's oratorio, Joshua, with the Prague Philharmonic and Chorus, and Maximilian Schell (Speaker), Ann Hallenberg, Peter Buchi, Patrick Poole and Rod Gilfry, conducted by James Sedares.
- Deutschlandfunk - From Musikfest Bremen 2006, a May 2006 performance of Vivaldi's Orlando Furioso, with Marijana Mijanovic, Julianne Young, Veronica Cangemi, Max Emanuel Cencic, Christian Senn, Barbara di Castri and Blandine Staskiewicz, conducted by Jean-Christophe Spinosi.
- KUAC - repeats the Metropolitan Opera broadcast of Tan Duns The First Emperor.
I hope you will read Part Two of Sam Shirakawa's report of his opera-going trip to Germany in November. I have also made some revisions to Part One of his report.