Saturday, February 17 - Jenufa and more ...
After a week's hiatus, we are back - The Met's matinee broadcast today is Janacek's Jenufa, and many European stations will be carrying it. This is one of Karita Mattila's best roles, and judging by the dress rehearsal we saw a couple of weeks back, she will be spectacular. The performance will also be special for Jorma Silvasti's Laca (this may be your last chance to catch him in this role, as he is switching over to the role of Steva for the remainder of the run); and for Anja Silja's Kostelnicka, perhaps one you have to be in the house to witness, but I have a feeling some of her magisterial presence will be heard and felt even by those who can only listen today....
There are a couple of stations airing the Met on a delayed basis - Sveriges Radio P2 is carrying the Bohème from a couple of weeks back, and Latvia Radio Klasika is airing the Don Carlos from December.
Here is the live lineup for today:
- DR P2 Klassisk and DR P2 - A March 2006 performance of Wagner's Götterdammerung with Stig Fogh Andersen, Guido Paevatalu, Peter Klaveness, Sten Byriel, Iréne Theorin, Ylva Kihlberg, Anette Bod, Susanne Resmark., Hanne Fischer, Anne Margrethe Dahl, Djina Mai-Mai, Elisabeth Meyer-Topsøe and Ulla Kudsk Jensen, conducted by Michael Schønwandt.
- Latvia Radio Klasika - Will be rebroadcasting the Met's Don Carlos from earlier this season, with Johann Botha, Patricia Racette, Olga Borodina, René Pape, Dmitri Hvorostovski and Samuel Ramey, conducted by James Levine.
- WMUK (NPR World of Opera) - A rebroadcast of last week's NPR offering: From Washington National Opera, Giordano's Andrea Chenier, with Salvatore Licitra, Paoletta Marrocu, Jorge Lagunes, Keri Alkema, Elizabeth Bishop, John Marcus Bindel, James Shaffran and Peter Joshua Burroughs, conducted by Eugene Kohn.
- France Musique - A December 2006 concert performance of Mozart's Idomeneo, from Palais Garnier in Paris, with Ramón Vargas, Joyce di Donato, Camilla Tilling, Mireille Delunsch, Thomas Moser, Xavier Mas, Ilya Bannik, Yun Jung Choi et Hye-Youn Lee and Jason Bridges et Bartlomiej Misiuda, conducted by Thomas Hengelbrock.
- Metropolitan Opera Broadcast (numerous stations) - Janacek's Jenufa, with Karita Mattila, Anja Silja, Jorma Silvasti, Jay Hunter Morris, Wendy Harmer Bryn, Yvonne Gonzales Redman, Paul Plishka, Kathryn Day, Alyson Cambridge, Michaela Martens, April Haines and Roger Andrews, conducted by Jiri Belohlavek.
- NRK Alltid Klassisk and NRK P2 - From Opéra Bastille in Paris, a performance of Berlioz's Les Troyens, with Deborah Polaski, Gaële Le Roi, Anne Salvan, Jon Villars, Franck Ferrari and Nicolas Testé, conducted by Sylvain Cambrelling.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - Another of the European stations airing a Met broadcast from earlier in the season, Puccini's La bohème, with Christina Gallardo-Domas, Susannah Glanville, Marcello Giodani, Dwayne Croft, Aaron St Clair Nicholson, John Relyea and Paul Plishka, conducted by Carlo Rizzi.
- WVIK (NPR World of Opera) - This week's offering is a performance from the Vienna State opera of Bellini's, with Anna Netrebko, Antonino Siragusa, Michele Pertusi, Simina Ivan, Marcus Pelz and Janina Baechle, conducted by Pier Giorgio Morandi.
- Klara - Prokofiev's Fiery Angel, with Igor Tarasov, Svetlana Sozdateleva, Elena Manistina, Beata Morawska, Leonid Bomshteyn, Vitali Taraschenko, Ante Jerkunica, Vladimir Samsonov, Maria Gortsevskaya and Lorenzo Caròla, conducted by Kazushi Ono.
Labels: Saturday Operas