Celebrating 40 Years of Domingo
Today the Vienna State Opera will host a gala concert celebrating 40 years since Placido Domingo's debut. NPR World of Opera is a bit schizoid today, with some stations offering Trovatore and other featuring Jenufa (for our won sanity, we do hope the NPR schedule regularizes soon...). Another chance to hear the Met National Council Auditions finals concert. Rebroadcasts of Manon and Fille du Regiment...and more:
- LRT Klasika (Lithuanian Radio) - A rebroadcast from last summer's Salzburg Festival of Mozart's Abduction From the Seraglio, with Laura Aikin, Valentina Farkas, Charles Castronovo, Dietmar Kerschbaum and Franz Hawlata, conducted by Ivor Bolton.
- CBC Two - From Vienna State Opera, Massenet's Manon with Anna Netrebko and Roberto Alagna, conducted by Bertrand de Billy
- Espace Musique - From Monte Carlo, Rossini's Il Viaggio a Reims, with Sara Mingardo, Patrizia Ciofi, June Anderson, Raúl Giménez, Rockwell Blake, Marco Vinco, Ruggero Raimondi, Filippo Morace, Manuel Lanza, Bálint Szabó, Martial Defontaine, Delphine Gillot, Oana Andra, Cornelia Oncioiu, Walter Barbaria and Enrico Maria Marabelli, conducted by Maurizio Benini.
- DR P2, Espace 2, NRK Alltis Klassisk & NRK P2 - From Vienna, Donizetti's La Fille du Regiment, with Nathalie Dessay, Juan Diego Florez, Carlos Alvarez and Montserrat Caballé, conducted by Yves Abel.
- France Musique - From Lyon, a concert double bill: Bizet's Djamileh, with Jean-Pierre Furlan, Laurent Naouri and Janja Vuletic; and Puccini's Il Tabarro, with Laurent Naouri, Hélène Bernardy, Jean-Pierre Furlan, Ceri Williams, Brian Bannatyne Scott and Christophe Mortagne, both operas conducted by Eivind Gullberg Jensen.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - From Schouwburg Orpheus in Apeldoorn, a Mat 12th performance of Moessorgsky's Boris Godunov, with Almas Svilpa, Joseph Schlesinger and Lenneke, conducted by Vasily Petrenko.
- RDP Antena 2 - Another Salzburg Festival rebroadcast, the double bill of Mozart's Apollo und Hyacinthe, with Maximilian Kiener, Christiane Karg, Ekaterina Tretiakova, Anja Schlosser, Astrid Monika Hofer and Norbert Steidl; and Mozart's Die Schuldigkeit des ersten Gebots, with Michiko Watanabe, Bernhard Berchtold, Cordula Schuster, Peter Sonn and Christiane Karg, both operas conducted by Josef Wallnig.
- NDR Kultur, Bartok Radio, Latvia Klasika Radio, Radio Slovenia Tretji, Radio Tre (RAI) and Radio Oesterreich International - From the Vienna State Opera, A LIVE gala concert celebrating Placido Domingo's 40 years in opera, featuring excerpts from Wagner's Die Walkure and Verdi's Otello with Plàcido Domingo, Deborah Voigt, Krassimira Stoyanova, Nadia Krasteva, Ho-Yoon Chung, Boaz Daniel, Kurt Rydl, In-Sung Sim and Ain Anger, and conductors Ádám Fischer and Daniele Gatti. Radio Oesterreich will also be playing an hour of Domingo recordings after the gala is over.
- BBC Radio 3 - From Vovent Garden, Verdi's Stiffelio, with Alastair Miles, Jose Cura, Roberto Frontali, Liora Grodnikaite, Reinaldo Macias, Nikola Matisic and Sondra Radvanovsky, conducted by Mark Elder. Later in the afternoon, BBC 3 offers a repeat broadcast of a Proms concert featuring Mozart's only incidental music for the theatre as well as his lighthearted Little Night Music, with Fflur Wyn, Christine Cairns, Christopher Lemmings and Stephan Loges, conducted by John Lubbock and Benjamin Wallfisch.
- NPR World of Opera (on numerous stations) - Listeners have a choice today as some stations are airing a Houston Grand Opera performance of Verdi's Il Trovatore, with Sondra Radvanovsky, Marcello Giordani, Irina Mishura, Bruno Caproni, Daniel Borowski, Marjorie Owens and Arturo Chacón-Cruz, conducted by Patrick Summers, OR a Houston Grand Opera performance of Janacek's Jenufa, with Patricia Racette, Catherine Malfitano, Stefan Margita, Raymond Very and Judith Christin, conducted by Dennis Russell Davies.
- Lyric Opera of Chicago (on numerous stations) - Gluck's Iphigenie an Aulide, with Susan Graham, Lucas Meachem, Paul Groves, Mark Delavan, Elizabeth De Shongl, Kathleen Kim, Brandon Mayberry, Marjorie Owens, Susanna Phillips and Darren Stokes, conducted by Louis Langrée.
- KUSC - From LA Opera, Verdi's Don Carlo, with Salvatore Licitra, Annalisa Raspagliosi, Dolora Zajick, Lado Ataneli, Ferruccio Furlanetto and Eric Halfvarson, conducted by James Conlon.
- MDR Figaro - From Vilnius, Lithuania, Puccini's Madama Butterfly, with Irena Zelenkauskaite, Victor Aleskov, Laima Jonutyte, Vytautas Juozapaitis, Rafailas Karpis, Arunas Malikenas and Egidijus Dauskurdis, conducted by David Parry.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - Froam Lausanne, an August 2006 performance of Rossini's Il Turco in Italia, with Simone Alaimo, Inga Kalna, Alberto Rinaldi, Kenneth Tarver and Brigitte Hool, conducted by Paolo Arrivabeni.
- WCNY - Another chance to hear the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions
- Cesky Rozhaas 3-Vltava - Mozart's La Clemenza di Tito, with Jaroslav Br(ezina), Kate Aldrich, Kater(ina Jalovcová, Petra Nôtová, Pavla Vykopalová and Adam Plachetka), conducted by Jan Chalupecký.
- Klara - From the Rococotheater in Schwetzingen, Legrenzi's Giustino, with Georg Nigl, Maya Boog, Elisabeth Kulman, Delphine Galou, Peter Kennel, Herman Oswald and Manfred Bittner, conducted by Thomas Hengelbrock.
- Lyric FM - Form Covent Garden, a performance of Bizet's Carmen, with Anna Caterina Antonacci and Jonas Kaufman.
- WQXR - a one and half hour swatch of Symphony Space's Wall-to-Wall Opera, featuring a New York City OperaShowcase with young artists from both the City Opera and from the Met's Lindemann Young Artists Program.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - Later on this evening and also on Sunday evening, RAI's weekend archive broadcasts will feature two archival broadcasts of Mendelssohn oratorios, on Saturday Paulus recorded in Milan in 1971, with Agnes Giebel, Oralia Dominguez, Theo Altmeyer, Siegmund Nimsgern, Robert Amis el Hage, conducted by Riccardo Muti; and on Sunday Elijah, recorded in Rome in 1975, with Elisabeth Harwood, Anna Reynolds, Anthony Rolfe Johnson and John Shirley Quirk, conducted by Rafael Fruehbeck de Burges
- WDAV - NPR World of Opera - carrying last weeks' offering, from Montreal Opera, Delibe's Lakmé, with Aline Kutan, Frédéric Antoun, James Westman, Randall Jakobsh, Mireille Lebel, Anne Saint-Denis, Alliscon Angelo, Leticia Brewer and Thomas Macleay, conducted by Jean Francois Rivest.
Labels: Saturday Operas