Saturday HIghlight - September 27, 2007
Several European stations are carrying a performance of Berlioz's Les Troyens from Geneva with Anna Caterina Antonacci, Anne Sofie von Otter and Kurt Streit. Radio Slovenia Tretji is rebroadcasting this summer's Die Walküre from Bayreuth. A couple of new opera are on board for this afternoon - From RAI the world premiere of Fabio Vacchi's Teneke; and from Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava a 2006 performance of Tomáš Hanzlík's Endymio conducted by the composer. Tributes to Luciano Pavarotti continue - of particular interest is WOMR's broadcast of highlights from a 1972 Lucia with Sills and Pavarotti.
Here's the rundown of live offerings this afternoon:
- Radio 4 Netherlands, Dwojke Polskie Radio, Espace 2 and Sveriges Radio P2 - From the Grand Théâtre in Geneva, a live performance of Berlioz's Les Troyens, with Anna Caterina Antonacci, Anne Sofie von Otter and Kurt Streit, conducted by John Nelson.
- DR P2 - From London, Berlioz's Damnation of Faust, with Yvonne Naef, Marcello Giordani, José van Dam and Patrick Carfizzi, conducted by James Levine.
- KBPS - From Portland (Oregon) Opera, a performance of Verdi's Aida, with Lisa Daltirus,Luretta Bybee, Philip Webb and Greer Grimsley, conducted by Vjekoslav Sutej.
- RDP Antena 2 & Radio Oesterreich International - From Covent Garden, a December 2006 performance of Bizet's Carmen, with Anna Caterina Antonacci, Jonas Kaufmann, Ildebrando D’Arcangelo, Nora Amsellem, Matthew Rose, Jacques Imbrailo, Elena Xanthoudakis, Viktoria Vizin, Jean Sébastien Bou and Jean-Paul Fouchécourt, conducted by Antonio Pappano.
- Houston Grand Opera (numerous stations) - Verdi's Aida, with Zvetelina Vassileva,
- Amneris – Dolora Zajick, Marco Berti, Gordon Hawkins and Tigran Martirossian, conducted by Carlo Rizzi.
- WQXR - From San Francisco Opera, Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera, with Deborah Voigt, Anna Christy, Marcus Haddock, Ambrogio Maestri and Tichina Vaughn, conducted by Marco Armiliato.
- BBC Radio 3 - From the 2007 Edinburgh International Festival, a performance of Vivaldi's Orlando Furioso, with Sonia Prina, Jennifer Larmore, Veronica Cangemi, Philippe Jaroussky, Christian Senn, Barbara Di Castri and Daniela Pini, conducted by Jean-Christophe Spinosi.
- CBC Two - From this past summer's Salzburg Festival, Haydn's Armida, with Annette Dasch, Michael Schade, Richard Croft, Patrica Petibon/Mojca Erdmann, Vito Priante, and Bernard Richter, conducted by Ivor Bolton.
- Espace 2 - From Rome, Alfano's La leggenda di Sakuntala, with Francesca Patanè, David Rendall, Elena Cassian, Anna Rita Taliento and Orlin Anastassov, conducted by Gianluigi Gelmetti.
- NPR World of Opera (numerous stations) - Most stations will carry a double bill from Washington National Opera: Bartok's Duke Bluebeard's Castle, with Samuel Ramey and Denyce Graves; and Puccini's Gianni Schicchi, with Samuel Ramey, Amanda Squitieri, Elizabeth Bishop, Antonio Gandia, Robert Baker, Christina Martos, Tony Teleky, Stefano de Peppo, Valeriano Lanchas, Trevor Scheunemann, Leslie Mutchler, Obed Urena, James Shaffran, David Morris and Matthew Osifchin, conducted by Giovanni Reggioli.
- MDR Figaro - From Semperoper in Dresden, the Finals Concert of Competizione dell’opera 2007, recorded on September 9th, conducted by Michail Jurowsky.
- NRK Alltid Klassisk & NRK P2 - From the Internationasl Baroque Festival in Beaune, a July performance of Monteverdi's Orfeo, with Furio Zanasi, Anna Simboli, Sara Mingardo, Monica Piccinini, Sergio Foresti, Antonio Abete and Luca Dordolo, conducted Rinaldo Alessandrini.
- Vermont Public Radio (VPR) - A tribute to Luciano Pavarotti.
- WETA & WDAV- From Washington National Opera, a performance of Puccini's Madama Butterfly, with Xiu Wei Sun, Arturo Chacon-Cruz, Elizabeth Batton, Luca Salsi, Anthony Laciura , Oben Urena and Robert Cantrell, conducted by Placido Domingo.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - A 2006 performance of Hanzlík's Endymio with Jan Mikušek, Lenka Schallenbergová, Markéta Vec(er(ová, Jan Ondrejka and Pavel Maškaconducted by the composer, Tomáš Hanzlík; after the opera (which runs about an hour), a Prague Proms 2007 concert by Eva Urbanova featuring scenes and arias from Verdi's Nabucco, Il Trovatore, La Traviata and Aida, conducted by Marcello Rota.
- Klara - From the Aix-en-Provence, a July performance of Janacek's From the House of the Dead, with Olaf Baer, Eric Stoklossa, Stefan Margita, Peter Straka, Vladimir Chmelo, Jiri Sulzenko and John Mark Ainsley, conducted by Pierre Boulez.
- Latvia Radio Klasika - From La Scala in Milan, Verdi's La Traviata, with Angela Gheorghiu, Ramon Vargas, and Roberto Frontali, conducted by Lorin Maazel.
- Radio Slovenia Tretji - A rebroadcast of this past summer's Bayreuth performance of Wagner's Die Walküre.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - From La Scala, the world premier of Vacchi's Teneke, with Steve Davislim, Rachel Harnisch, Andrea Concetti, Alessandra Paliaga, Anna Smirnova, Nicola Ulivieri and Angelo Veccia, conducted by Roberto Abbado.
- WOMR - For its Apres Opera, hear highlights of of a 1972 Lucia di Lammermoor with Beverly Sills and Luciano Pavartotti.
Labels: Saturday Operas