Lots of Variety Today - Saturday, October 6, 2007
Two versions of Iphigenie en Tauride (Gluck's from Covent Garden with Graham, Keenlyside and Groves; and Gouvy's on Deutschlandradio Kultur) ...The WFMT Opera Network moves on to the San Francisco Opera with a performance of Puccini's Manon Lescaut with the incandescent Karita Mattila (the less said about the tenor in this performance, the better) ... Norwegian radio continues its Ring Cycle with Siegfried (we are curious about Terje Stensvold's Wanderer and the Erde of Anne Gjevang) ... From RTP Antena 2 in Portugal comes a rebroadcast of last year's Salzburg Festival Le Nozze di Figaro with Netrebko, Röschmann and Schäffer ... Espace 2 remembers Beverly Sills by airing the April 1975 Met broadcast of Rossini's Siege of Corinth with Sills, Diaz, Verrett and Theyard, conducted by Thomas Schippers ... WOMR will be carrying a Verdi Requiem that's new to us - with Leontyne Price, Giulietta Simionato, Giuseppe Zampieri and Nikolai Ghiaurov, von Karajan conducting ... Radio Slovenia will repeat the 2007 Bayreuth Götterdämmerung ...and on Sunday evening, Radio Tre (RAI) will be carrying a 1955 Vespri Siciliani form its archives, featuring Carlo Tagliabue and Anita Cerquetti.
An now for the live listings for today --
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - From Evangelische Kirche Saarlouis, a December 2006 performance of Gouvy's Iphigénie en Tauride with Christine Maschler, Ekkehard Abele, Benjamin Hulett and Vinzenz Haab, conducted by Joachim Fontaine.
- DR P2 - From the Liceu in Barcelona, a performance of Giordano's Andrea Chénier, with José Cura, Deborah Voigt, Carlos Álvarez, Marina Rodríguez Cusí, Irina Mishura and Miguel Ángel Zapater, conducted by Pinchas Steinberg.
- Espace Musique - From Pacific Opera Victoria, Strauss' Daphné , with Sookyung Park, Kurt Lehmann, Anthony Pulgram, Brian McIntosh and Rebecca Hass, conducted by Timothy Vernon.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - From the Muziektheater in Amsterdam, an October 1st performance of Monteverdi's l Ritorno d'Ulisse in patria, with Paul Nilon, Patricia Bardon and Ed Lyon, conducted by Glen Wilson.
- RTP Antena 2 - From the 2006 Salzburg Festival, a performance of Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro, with Ildebrando d’Arcangelo, Anna Netrebko, Bo Skovhus, Dorothea Röschmann, Christine Schäffer, Marie McLaughlin, Franz-Josef Selig, Patrick Henckens, Oliver Ringelhahn, Florian Boesch and Eva Liebau conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt.
- San Francisco Opera (WFMT Opera Network on numerous stations) - Puccini's Manon Lescaut, with Karita Mattila, Misha Didyk, John Hancock and Eric Halfvarson, conducted by Donald Runnicles.
- WQXR - Also from San Francisco Opera, Mozart's Don Giovanni, with Mariusz Kwiecien, Hope Briggs, Twyla Robinson, Claudia Mahnke, Charles Castronovo, Luca Pisaroni and Oren Gradus, conducted by Donald Runnicles.
- Bartok Radio, Radio Tre (RAI) & Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - From the National Theater in Prague, a performance of Smetana's Il Segreto (Tajemství), with Miloslav Podskalský, Katerina Jalovcová, Maria Haan, Roman Janál, Tomás Cerný, Jirí Sulzenko,cantore di ballate, Jaroslav Brezina, Ivan Kusnjer, Jitka Sobehartová, Václav Lemberk and Zdenek Harvánek, conducted by Zbynek Müller.
- BBC Radio 3 - From Covent Garden, Gluck's Iphegenie en Tauride, with Susan Graham, Simon Keenlyside, Paul Groves, Clive Bayley, Gail Pearson, Claire Wild, Cécile van de Sant, conducted by Ivor Bolton.
- CBC Two - From this summer's Salzburg Festival, Weber's Der Freischutz, with Peter Seiffert, Roland Bracht, Markus Butter, Gunther Groissbock, Alexander Kaimbacher, Ignaz Kirchner, Aleksandra Kurzak, John Relyea and Petra maria Schnitzer, conducted by Markus Stenz.
- France Musique & Sveriges Radio P2 - From l'Opéra Bastille in Paris, a performance of Dukas' Ariane et Barbe-Bleue, with Willard White, Deborah Polaski, Julia Juon, Diana Axentii, Iwona Sobotka, Hélène Guilmette and Jaël Azzaretti, conducted by Sylvain Cambreling.
- NPR World of Opera (on numerous stations) - From Washington National Opera, Janacek's Jenufa, with Patricia Racette, Catherine Malfitano, Kim Begley, Judith Christin and Raymond Very, conducted by Jiri Belohlavek.
- KCME - From Houston Grand opera, Verdi's Aida, with Zvetelina Vassileva, Dolora Zajick, Marco Berti, Gordon Hawkins, and Tigran Martirossian, conducted by Carlo Rizzi.
- KCSC - From San Francisco Opera, Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera, with Deborah Voigt, Marcus Haddock, Ambrogio Maestri, Anna Christy and Tichina Vaughn, conducted by Marco Armiliato.
- NRK Alltid Klassisk & NRK P2 - From Oslo, a September 15th performance of Wagner's Siegfried, with Stig Fogh Andersen, Svein Erik Sagbråten, Terje Stensvold, Marcus Jupither, Carsten Stabell, Anne Gjevang, Tina Kiberg and Eli Kristin Hagen, conducted by Paul Daniels.
- WETA & WDAV - From Washington National Opera, Donizetti's La fille du régiment, with JiYoung Lee, José Bros, Victoria Livengood, Simone Alberghini, Obed Urena, Matthew J. Minor and Madeleine Gray, conducted by Riccardo Frizza.
- Espace 2 - An homage to Beverly Sills - the April 15, 1975 Metropolitan Opera broadcast of Rossini's Le Siège de Corinthe, with Beverly Sills, Justino Diaz, Shirley Verrett, Harry Theyard, Richard T. Gill, Betsey Norden and Richard Best, conducted by Thomas Schippers.
- Radio Slovenia Tretji - a rebroadcast of this summer's Bayreuth Götterdämmerung, with Stephen Gould, Ralf Lukas, Hans-Peter König, Andrew Shore, Linda Watson, Edith Haller, Mihoko Fujimura, Simone Schröder, Martina Dike, Edith Haller, Fionnuala McCarthy, Ulrike Helzel and Marina Prudenskaja, conducted by Christian Thielemann.
- WOMR - After the San Francisco Manon Lescaut, a live Verdi Requiem with Leontyne Price, Giulietta Simionato, Giuseppe Zampieri and Nicolai Ghiaurov, conducted by Herbert von Karajan.
- Lyric FM - From Teatro Communale in Bologna, Verdi's Falstaff, with Ruggero Raimondi and Patricia Racette, conducted by James Conlon.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - on its late-night Esercizi de Memoria series this weekend, on Saturday a 1952 Rome performance of Donizetti's Il Duca D'Alba, with Gian Giacomo Guelfi, Dario Caselli, Aldo Bertocci, Caterina Mancini, Amedeo Berdini, Nestore Catalani, Manfredi Ponz De Leon, conducted by Fernando Previtali; and on Sunday an October 1955 Turin performance of Verdi's I Vespri Siciliani, with Carlo Tagliabue, Mario Zorgniotti, Giuliano Ferrein, Mario Ortica, Boris Christoff, Anita Cerquetti, Miti Truccato Pace, Tommaso Soley, Walter Artioli, Cristiano Dalamangas and Sante Andreoli, conducted by Mario Rossi.
Labels: Saturday Operas