Live offerings today ....
A rebroadscast of this past summer's Bayreuth Meistersinger with Klaus Florian Vogt ... two different performances of Tchaikovsky's Pique Dame ... A rebroadcast of a really wonderful performance of Rossini's Matilde de Shabran from the 2004 Rossini Festival in Pesaro ... Tchaikovsky's Maid of Orleans from San Francisco with Dolora Zakick .. a rebroadcast of a Vienna I Vespri Siciliani with Radvonofsky and Casanova ... in a word, several interesting and exciting choices this afternoon:
- CBC Two - Has already started a performance of Puccini's La Fanciulla del West, from Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, with Hugh Smith, Eva-Marie Westbroek, Norbert Ernst, Peter Gijsbertsen and Stephen Kechulius, conducted be Edo de Waart. (Remember that if you have missed the start of this opera, you can catch it later on by using the stream from one of CBC's later time zones.)
- WFMT Opera Network (on numerous stations) - now running the San Francisco Opera series of broadcasts. This week: Rossini's Barber of Seville with Nathan Gunn, Allysoin Hardy, John Osborn, Bruno de Simone and Philip Ens, conducted by Maurizio Barbacini.
- KBYU - From the 2007 Bayreuth Festival, Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, with Franz Hawlata, Artur Korn, Charles Reid, Rainer Zaun, Michael Volle, Markus Eiche, Edward Randall, Hans-Jürgen Lazar, Stefan Heibach, Martin Snell, Andreas Macco, Diógenes Randes, Klaus Florian Vogt, Norbert Ernst, Amanda Mace, Carola Guber and Friedemann Röhlig, conducted by Sebastian Weigle.
- NPR World of Opera (on numerous stations) - A Houston Grand Opera performance of Mozart's Don Giovanni, with Mariusz Kwiecien, Oren Gradus, Ana Maria Martinez, Alexandra Deshorties, Garrett Sorenson, Fiona Murphy, Ryan McKinny and Raymond Aceto, conducted by Patrick Summers.
- WETA - A San Francisco Opera perfromance of Puccini's Manon Lescaut, with Karita Mattila, Misha Dyck, John Hancock and Eric Halfvarson, conducted by Donald Runniclkes.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur & Radio 4 Netherlands - From Vienna State Opera, an October 28th performance of Tchaikovsky's Pique Dame, with Neil Shicoff, Albert Dohman, Anja Silja, Martina Serafin, Boaz Daniel and Nadia Krasteva, conducted by Seiji Ozawa.
- DR P2 - From Toulouse, Lalo's Le Roi d'Ys, with Sophie Koch, Inva Mula,: Charles Castronovo, Paul Gay, Fanck Ferrari, Eric Martin-Bonnet and André Heyboer, conducted by Yves Abel.
- DR P2 Klassisk - Verdi's Requiem with Barbara Frittoli, Joseph Calleja, Daniela Barcellona and Ferruccio Furlanetto, conducted by Gianandrea Noseda.
- Dwojke Polskie Radio, Espace 2, MDR Figaro, NRK Alltid Klassisk & NRK P2 - From Prague, an October 6th performance of Smetana's Tajemství (The Secret), with Miloslav Podskalsku, Katerina Jalovcová, Maria Haan, Roman Janál, Tomás Cerný, Jirí Sulzenko, Jaroslav Brezina, Ivan Kusnjer, Jitka Sobehartová, Václav Lemberk and Zdenek Harvánek,conducted by Zbynek Müller.
- France Musique - The September 4, 2007 World premiere of Marius et Fanny, based on the works of Marcel Pagnol, with Roberto Alagana, Angela Gheorghiu and Jean-Philippe Lafont.
- RTP Antena 2 - From the 2004 Rossini Festival in Pesaro, Italy, Rossini's Matilde de Shabran, with Annick Massis, Hadar Halevy, Chiara CHialli, Lubomir Moravec, Juan Diego Florez, Gregory Bonfatti, Bruno de Simone, Marco Vinco and Carlo Lepore, conducted by Riccardo Frizza.
- KCME - As part of the WFMT Opera Network, airing a San Franciso Opera performance of Tchaikovsky's Maid of Orleans, with Dolora Zajik, Misha Dyck and Rod Gilfry, conducted by Donald Runnicles.
- BBC Radio 3 - From EnglishNational Opera, a live performance of Bizet's Carmen (sung in a new English translation by Christopher Cowell), with Alice Coote, Julian Gavin, David Kempster, Katie van Kooten, Ronan Collett, Graeme Danby, Fiona Murphy, Elena Xanthoudakis, Andrew Rees and Scott Davies, conducted by Edward Gardner.
- Radio Oesterreich International - An October 26,1986 performance from the Vienna State Opera of Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera, with Luciano Pavarotti, Piero Cappuccilli, Gabriele Lechner, Ludmilla Schemtschuk and Magda Nador, conducted by Claudio Abbado.
- Bartok Radio & Latvia Radio Klasika - Another performance of Tchaikovsky's Pique Dame, from Moscow, with Badri Majsuradze, Pavel Csernyik, Vaszilij Lagyuk, Vjacseszlav Vojnarovszkij, Vjacseszlav Pocsapszkij, Jurij Markelov, Nyikolaj Kazanszkij, Nyikolaj Majboroda, Jelena Obrazcova, Tatjana Monogarova, Anna Viktorova, Jevgenyija Szegenyuk, Jekatyerina Golojljova, and Anna Aglatova, conducted by Mihail Pletnyov.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - From Vienna State opera, Donizetti's La Fille du Regiment, with Nathalie Dessay, Juan Diego Flórez, Carlos Alvarez, Monserrat Caballé, Janina Baechle, conducted by Yves Abel.
- Klara - Mozart's Mitridate, Re di Ponte, with Bruce Ford, Mary Dunleavy, Myrtò Papatanasiu, Bejun Mehta, Veronica Cangemi, Maxim Mironov and Jeffrey Francis, conducted by Mark Wigglesworth.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - A December 2006 performance of Donizett's Don Pasquale from Teatro Dante in Ravenna, with Claudio Desderi, Mario Cassi, Francisco Gatell, Laura Giordano and Gabriele Spina, conducted by Riccardo Muti. On their late night archival broadcast series, hear a November 20, 1957 Rome broadcast of Elgar's The Dream of Gerontius, with Jon Vickers, Constance Shacklock and Marian Nowakowski, conducted by John Barbirolli.
- Lyric FM - From the Teatro Carlo Felice in Genoa, Verdi's I Vespri Siciliani, with Sondra Radvonofsky and Francisco Casanova.
- WDAV - Last week's NPR World of Opera broadcast: from Houston Grand Opera, Verdi's Simon Boccanegra, with Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Olga Guryakova, Marco Berti, Patrick Carfizzi, Raymond Aceto and Ryan McKinney, conducted by Patrick Summers.
Happy listening . . . .
Labels: Saturday Operas