Saturday, June 7, 2008 - Live offerings
Some interesting live offerings today: from the Holland Festival comes Messiaen's Saint Francois d'Assise with Camilla Tilling and Rodney Gilfry; from LA Opera a Don Giovanni with Erewin Schrott, Alexandra Deshorties, Charles Castronovo and Maria Kanyova; From Budapest, Siegfried (Act 2 now underway) with Christian Franz and Alan Titus; France Vivace is airing the 1955 Bayreuth Siegfried with Windgassen, Varnay, Hotter and Neidlinger, conducted by Keilberth; BBC 3 is carrying an Opera North performance of Gounod's Romeo et Juliette, with Leonardo Capalbo as Romeo; From Vienna Staatsoper, a number of stations are presenting Richard Strauss' Capriccio with Renée Fleming, Bo Skovhus, Michael Schade and Angelika Kirschlager, Philippe Jordan conducting; from l'Opéra de Lyon comes Porgy and Bess; from Genoa, Radio Tre is airing the Italian premiere of a Tan Dun opera, Tea: A Mirror of Soul . . . . details follow:
- Bartok Radio - From Budapest, a performance of Wagner's Siegfried, with Christian Franz, Michael Roider, Alan Titus, Hartmut Welker, Walter Fink, Cornelia Kallisch and Susan Bullock, Gál Gabi conducting.
- LRT Klasika and CBC Two - for those who missed it, another chance to hear La Traviata from Vienna with Krassimira Stoyanova.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - Live from Amsterdam's Holland Festival, Messiaen's Saint Francois d'Assise, with Camilla Tilling, Rodney Gilfry, Hubert Delamboye, Henk Neven and Tom Randle, conducted by Ingo Metzmacher.
- KUSC - From LA Opera, a performance of Mozart's Don Giovanni, with Erwin Schrott, Kyle Ketelson, Charles Castronovo, Alexandra Deshorties and Maria Kanyova, conducted by Hartmut Haenchen.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - From Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, a March 29th performance of Roussel's Padmâvatî, with Sylvie Brunet, Finnur Bjarnasson, Alain Fondary, Yann Beuron, Laurent Alvaro, François Piolino and Blandine Folio Peres, conducted by Lawrence Foster.
- Dwojke Polskie Radio, DR P2, Radio Oesterreich International & Sveriges Radio P2 - From the Vienna State Opera, a performance of Strauss' Capriccio with Renée Fleming, Bo Skovhus, Michael Schade, Adrian Eröd, Angelika Kirchschlager and Franz Hawlata, conducted by Philippe Jordan.
- France Vivace - From Testament's reissue of the 1955 Bayreuth Ring Cycle, Wagner's Siegfried, with Wolfgang Windgassen, Hans Hotter, Astrid varnay and Gustav Neidlinger, conducted by Joseph Keilberth.
- RTP Antena 2 - From Paris, a February 2007 performance of Handel's Ricardo Primo, with Geraldine McGreevy, Nuria Rial, Lawrence Zazzo, Tim Mead, Curtis Streetman and David Wilson-Johnson, conducted by Paul Goodwin.
- WFMT Opera Series (numerous stations) - From Lyric Opera of Chicago, Handel's Julius Caesar, with David Daniels, Danielle de Niese, Patricia Bardon, Maite Beaumont, Chistophe Dumaux, Wayne Tiggs, Gerald Thomson and Darren Stokes, conducted by Emmanuelle Haim.
- BBC Radio 3 - From Opera North, a performance of Gounod's Romeo et Juliette, with Leonardo Capalbo, Bernarda Bobro, Grant Doyle, Peter Wedd, Frances Bourne, Geoffrey Dolton, Peter Savidge, Nicholas Sharratt, Yvonne Howard and Henry Waddington, conducted by Martin Andre.
- Espace Musique & WDAV - From Paris, a performance of Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress, with René Schirrer, Laura Claycomb, Toby Spence, Laurent Naouri, Hilary Summers, Jane Henschel, Ales Briscein and Ugo Rabec, conducted by Edward Gardner.
- France Musique - From l'Opéra de Lyon, a May 17th concert performance of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess, with Derrick Lawrence, Janice Chandler-Eteme, Timothy Robert Blevins, Ronald Samm, LaVerne Williams, Magali Léger, Rodney Clarke, Kristin Lewis, Bernard Abervandana, Keel Watson, Odile Dovin, Larry Hylton and Phumzile Sojola, conducted by William Eddins.
- NPR World of Opera - From Washington National opera, Verdi's I Vespri Siciliani, with Maria Guleghina, Franco Farina, Lado Ataneli, Vitalij Kowaljow, Erin Elizabeth Smith, Robert Baker, Corey Evan Rotz, J. Austin Bitner and James Shaffran, conducted by Placido Domingo.
- NRK KLASSISK & NRK P2 - From Opéra Bastille in Paris, Berg's Wozzeck, with Simon Keenlyside, Jon Villars, David Kuebler, Gerhard Siegel, Roland Bracht, Angela Denoke, and Ursula Hesse v.d. Steinen, conducted by Sylvain Cambreling.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - From La Monnaie in Brussels, a performance of von Weber's Euryanthe, with Gabriele Fontana, Kurt Streite, Jolana Fogašová, Detlef Roth, Jan-Hendrik Rootering, Robin Tritschler and Hendrickje van Kerckhoven, conducted by Kazushi Ono.
- Espace 2 - From Teatro Lirico de Cagliari, an April 24th performance of Rimsky-Korsakov's La Légende de la Ville invisible de Kitège et de la Vierge Fevronia, with Tatiana Monogarova, Vitaly Panfilov, Mikhail Gubsky, Vsevolodovic Kazakov, Gevorg Hakobyan, Marika Gulordava, Riccardo Ferrari, Stefano Consolini, Alessandro Senes, Valery Gilmanov, Alexander Naumenko, Rosanna Savoia, Elena Manistina, Gianluca Floris and Marek Kalbus, conducted byAlexander Vedernikov.
- Klara - From Opéra Royal de Wallonie, Donizetti's Maria Stuarda, with Patrizia Ciofi, Marianna Pizzolato, Diana Axentii, Danilo Formaggia, Federico Sacchi and Mario Cassi, conducted by Luciano Acocella.
- Latvia Radio Klasika - From Munich, a December 11th performance of Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera, with Ramon Vargas and Violeta Urmana, conducted by Marko Armiliato.
- WQED - The Metropolitan Opera National Council Grand Finals Concert, held February 24th, with the Metropolitan opera Orchestra conduted by Stephen Lord.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - LIVE, from Teatro Carlo Felice in Genoa, the Italian premiere of Tan Dun's Tea: A Mirror of Soul, with Seiko Haijing, Fu Lan, Nancy Allen Lundy and Lu Ning Liang, conducted by Lawrence Renes.
- Lyric FM - From the Vienna State Opera, Verdi's La forza del destino, with Nina Stemme and Salvatore Licitra, conducted by Zubin Mehta.
- KING - From Lyric Opera of Chicago,a reairing of last week's offering, Tchaikovsky's Eugen Onegin, with Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Dina Kuznetsova and Frank Lopardo, conducted by Sir Andrew Davis.
- Concert FM (New Zealand) - From Opera Australia, Puccini's Il Trittico, with Nicole Yuol, Carlo Barricelli, Jonathan Summers, Graeme Macfarlane, Stephen Bennett, Elizabeth Campbell, Michael Martin, Hye Seoung Kwon, Milijana Nikolic, Henry Choo and Teresa La Rocca, conducted by Andrea Licata.