Back to Live Saturdays ... September 21
First a word about a program that we never list on OperaCast - this weekend, NPR's From the Top (which runs one hour) is featuring an hour with the young artists at the Houston Grand Opera's Wortham Theater. Some stations air the program after their opera program on Saturday afternoons, while others carry it on Sunday afternoon (and a few, I believe, carry it on other days throughout the week). Sounds to us like a program worth looking out for.
And now for the live offerings this afternoon:
Netherlands Opera's Die Frau ohne Schatten seems worth a listen if only for the wondrous voices of Klaus Florian Vogt (will he ever appear again at the Met, we wonder?) and Terje Stensvold (who we will almost certainly never hear live on these shores) . . . From Radio Clasica de Espana, catch Handel's Ariodante with Joyce di Donato . . . How times have changed -- The Met now seems to be pushing its historic broadcasts as never before - catch the January 7, 1956 Tosca with Tebaldi, Tucker and Warren on Polish Radio, the March 13, 1976 I Puritani with Sutherland, Pavarotti and Milnes on Austrian Radio, or the February 9, 1974 Otello with Te Kanawa and Vickers. Any one of these three are sure to make your Saturday a little sweeter . . . .
- BBC Radio 3 - From this summer's Edinburgh festival,a concert performance of Weill's The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, with Susan Bickley, Jeffrey Lloyd-Roberts, Alan Opie, Giselle Allen, Anthony Dean Griffey, Peter Hoare, Stephan Loges, Brindley Sherratt and Hannah Gordon, HK Gruber conducting.
- CBC Two - Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande, with Russell Braun, Isabel Bayrakdarian, Pavlo Hunka, Barbara Dever, Richard Wiegold, Erin Fisher and Alain Coulombe, conducted by Jan Latham-Koenig.
- Dr P2 - A May 23rd performance from Teatro Carlo Felice in Genoa of Tchaikovsky's Eugen Onegin, with Tiziana Tramonti, Svetla Vassileva, Marina Pardo, Fabio Maria Capitanucci, Dmitrij Korchak and Askar Abdrazakov, conducted by Juanjo Mena.
- Espace Musique - From Washington National Opera, a performance of Handel's Tamerlano, with David Daniels, Placido Domingo, Sarah Coburn, Patricia Bardon and Andrew Foster-Williams, conducted by William Lacey.
- France Musique - From théâtre des Champs-Elysées in Paris, a May 5th performance of Vivaldi's La Fida Ninfa, with Veronica Cangemi, Sandrine Piau, Philippe Jaroussky, Sara Mingardo, Stefano Ferrari and Lorenzo Regazzo, conducted by Jean-Christophe Spinosi.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - From De Nederlandse Opera in Amsterdam, a performance of Strauss' Die Frau ohne Schatten, with Gabriele Fontana, Klaus Florian Vogt, Terje Stensvold and Evelyn Herlitzius, conducted by Marc Albrecht.
- Radio Clasica de Espana - From Gran Teatro de Ginebra, Handels Ariodante with the sublime Joyce di Donato, Patricia Petibon, Charles Workman, A. Abete and Sandrine Piau, conducted by K. Montgomery.
- WFMT Opera series (on numerous stations) - From San Francisco Opera, Glass' Appomattox, with Dwayne Croft. Andrew Shore, Rhoslyn Jones, Eliza van den Heever, Heidi Melton, Kendall Gladen, Noah Stewart, Jeremy Galyon, Chad Shelton, Lee Ji Young Yang and Philip Skinner, conducted by Dennis Russell Davies.
- XLNC1 - The WFMT Opera Series on a one week delay - if you missed it last week, catch San Francisco Opera's performance of Puccini's Madama Butterfly, with Patricia Racette, Brandon Jovanovich, Zheng Cao and Stephen Powell, conducted by Donald Runnicles.
- Dwojke Polskie Radio - An historic Metropolitan Opera broadcast from January 7, 1956, of Puccini's Tosca, with Renata Tebaldi, Richard Tucker, Leonard Warren, Fernando Correna, Alessio de Paolis, Clifford Harvout, George Cehanovsky and Peter Mark, conducted by Dimitri Mitropoulos.
- Radio Oesterreich International - Yet another historic Met broadcast, this one the March 13, 1976 performance of Bellini's I Puritani, with Joan Sutherland, Luciano Pavarotti and Sherrill Milnes, conducted by Richard Bonynge.
- Bartok Radio - A June 20th performance of Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov, with Alekszej Tyihomirov, Ilja Ilin, Marina Kalinyina, Vagyim Zaplecsnij, Petro Morozov, Sztanyiszlav Svetsz, Vaszilij Jefimov, Kszénia Vjaznyikova, Andrej Vilegzanyin, Dmitrij Ovscsinnyikov and Vlagyimir Bolotin, conducted by Vlagyimir Ponkin.
- NPR World of Opera - From Teatro Carlo Felice in Genoa, a performance of Massenet's Werther, with Giuseppe Filianoti, Sonia Ganassi, Adriana Kucerova, Giorgio Caoduro, Gianfranco Montrosor, Enzo Peroni and Vittorio Prato, conducted by Alain Guingal.
- NRK Klassisk & NRK P2 - a third historic Met broadcast - From February 9, 1974, Verdi's Otello with Kiri Te Kanawa, Jon Vickers, Jean Kraft, Thomas Stewart, William Lewis, Paul Plishka, Robert Goodloe, Andrea Velis and David Holloway, conducted by James Levine.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - From Osada's Four Nights of Dream, with Sara Sandström, Joa Helgeson, Astrid Robillard, Johan Kinell, Akeo Hasegawa and Anton Ljungqvist, conducted by David Björkman.
And more to come in second posting.....
Labels: Saturday Operas