Live Offerings - Saturday, October 25, 2008
Three historic Metropolitan Opera broadcasts: a 1957 Tosca (with Tebalsi, Tucker and Warren), a 1968 Die Walküre (with Vickers, Rysanek, Ludwig and Stewart) and a 1976 I Puritani (with Sutherland, Pavarotti and Milnes) .... We are interested to hear: Janice Baird, who made such a good impression in the Met's Tristan when she replaced Deborah Voigt last season, make her company debut with Seattle Opera as Elektra ... Paolo Gavanelli in Attila on CBC Two ... Christopher Schaldenbrand as Don Giovanni with Utah Opera on KBYU ... The most fun amongst the live offerings today - Houston Grand Opera's Daughter of the Regiment with the delightful Laura Claycomb and Ewa Podles (part of the WFMT Opera Series).
Here's the lineup for this afternoon and evening:
- BBC Radio 3 - From the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Cavalli's La Calisto, with Dominique Visse, Veronique Gens, Monica Bacelli, Joao Fernandes, Markus Werba, Sally Matthews, Lawrence Zazzo, Guy de Mey, Ed Lyon and Clive Bayley, conducted by Ivor Bolton.
- CBC Two - From the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, Verdi's Attila, with Ildar Abdrazakov, Paolo Gavanelli, Hasmik Papian, Massimiliano Pisapia, Giorgio Trucco and Dennis Wilgenhof, conducted by Jaap van Zweden.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - From the Vienna State Opera, Gounod's Faust, with Roberto Alagna, Kwangchul Youn, Angela Gheorghiu, Adrian Eröd, Alexandru Moisiuc, Michaela Selinger and Janina Baechle, conducted by Bertrand de Billy.
- DR P2, Dwojke Polskie Radio, NRK Klassisk & NRK P2 - From Teatro Regio in Turin, an October 18th performance of Cherubini's Medea, with Giuseppe Filianoti, Anna Caterina Antonacci, Sara Mingardo, Giovanni Battista Parodi and Cinzia Forte, conducted by Evelino Pido.
- Espace Musique - From the 2008 Vancouver Festival, Early Music Society de Vancouver's production of Mozart's Idomeneo, with Kresimir Spicer, Measha Brueggergosman, Peggy Kriha Dye, Michael Maniaci, Olivier Laquerre, Vasil Garvanliev and Curtis Sullivan, conducted by Andrew Parrott.
- KBYU - After a program focussing on the career of Anna Moffo, a May performance of Utah Opera'a production of Mozart's Don Giovanni, with Christopher Schaldenbrand, Gustav Andreasson, Susanna Phillips, Ryan McPherson, Deanne Meek, Mark Schnaible, Chad Sloan and Shannon Kesslerconducted by Robert Tweten.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - From Netherlands Opera, Mussorgsky's Boris Gudonov, with John Tomlinson, Brian Azawa and Marina Zyatkova, conducted by Alexander Lazarev.
- Radio Clasica de Espana - Yet another chance to catch the archival Metropolitan Opera broadcast from March 13, 1976 of Bellini's I Puritani, with Joan Sutherland, Luciano Pavarotti and Sherrill Milnes.
- RTP Antena 2 - From Munich, a December 11, 2007 performance of Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera, with Violeta Urmana, Lana Kos, Jane Henschel, Ramón Vargas, Kevin Conners, Michael McBride, Franco Vasallo, Christian Rieger, Steven Humes and Rüdiger Trebes, conducted by Marco Armiliato.
- WFMT Opera Series (on numerous stations) - From Houston Grand Opera, Donizetti's The Daughter of the Regiment, with Liam Bonner, Ewa Podles, Cameron F. Schutza, Bruno Praticò, Laura Claycomb, Barry Banks, James J. Kee, Grant Loehnig and Ross Chitwood Diane Zola, conducted by Riccardo Frizza.
- WFMT & XLNC1 - From its opera series, from Houston Grand Opera, Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera, with Ryan McKinny, Nikolay Didenko, Lyubov Petrova, Ramón Vargas, Carlo Guelfi, Beau Gibson, Ewa Podles, Liam Bonner, Cameron F. Schutza and Tamara Wilson, conducted by Patrick Summers.
- WQXR - From San Francisco Opera, Handel's Ariodante, with Susan Graham, Ruth Ann Swenson, Sonia Prina, Veronica Cangemi, Richard Croft and Eric Owens, conducted by Patrick Summers.
- Bartok Radio - A September 27th performance of Verdi's Simon Boccanegra, with Leo Nucci, Roxana Briban, Giacomo Prestia, Eijiro Kai, Dan Paul Dumitrescu, Mario Malagnini, Florin Ormenisan and Donna Ellen, conducted by Yves Abel.
- France Musique - From Théâtre du Capitole de Toulouse, an October 10th performance of Enesco's Oedipe, with Franck Ferrari, Arutjun Kotchinian, Vincent Le Texier, Emiliano Gonzales-Toro, Enzo Capuano, Harry Peeters, Jérôme Varnier, Andrew Schroeder, Léonard Pezzino, Sylvie Brunet, Marie-Nicole Lemieux, Amel Brahim-Djelloul, Maria José Montiel and Qiu Lin Zhang, conducted by Pinchas Steinberg.
- NPR World of Opera - From Washington NAtional Opera, Bolcom's A View from the Bridge, with Kim Josephson, Catherine Malfitano, Christine Brandes, Gregory Turay, Richard Bernstein, John Del Carlo, Kirc Eichelberger and Greg Warren, conducted by John DeMain.
- Lyric FM - From the Wexford Opera Festival, Rimsky-Korsakov's Snegurochka (The Snow Maiden), with Irina Samoylova.
- MDR Figaro - From Oper Halle, Mozart's Don Giovanni, with Johannes Weisser, Lorenzo Regazzo, Alexandrina Pendatchanska, Olga Pasichnyk, Kenneth Tarver, Sunhae Im, Nikolay Borchev and Alessandro Guerzoni, conducted by René Jacobs.
- Radio Oesterreich International - Another archival Metropolitan Opera broadcast: From February 24, 1968, Wagner's Die Walküre, with Birgit Nilsson, Leonie Rysanek, Christa Ludwig, Jon Vickers, Thomas Stewart, Karl Ridderbusch, Phyllis Brill, Gwendolyn Killebrew, Louise Pearl, Carlotta Ordassy, Clarice Carson, Barbro Ericson, Rosalind Hupp and Joann Grillo, conducted by Berislav Klobucar.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - From Malmö musikteater an August 8th performance of Larsson's Prinsessan av Cypern, with Nils Olsson, Signe Lind, Lisa Löfqvist, Ethel Schelin and Naja Monrad Hansen, conducted by Andreas Lönnqvist.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - The third and last in their series of archival Metropolitan Opera broadcasts, the 1957 broadcast of Puccini's Tosca, with Renata Tebaldi, Richard Tucker, Leonard Warren, Fernando Corena, Alessio De Paolis, Clifford Harvuot, George Cehanovsky, Peter Mark and Calvin Marsh, conducted by Dimitri Mitropoulos.
- Espace 2 - From Grand-Théâtre in Geneva, Offenbach's Les Contes D'Hoffmann, with Marc Laho, Stella Doufexis, Nicolas Cavallier, Erich Huchet, Patricia Petibon, Rachel Harnisch, Maria Riccarda Wesseling, Nadine Denize, Francisco Vas, Bernard Deletré, René Schirrer, Gilles Cachemaille, Bisser Terziysky, Romaric Braun and Delphine Beaulieu, conducted by Patrick Davin.
- Klara - Rossini's La Cenerentola, with Silvia Tro Santafé, Javier Camarena, Lhionel Lhote, Donato di Stefano, Raffaella Milanesi, Giorgia Milanesi and Tisbe François Lis, conducted by Marc Minkowski.
- Radio Slovenia Tretji - From the 2008 Bayreuth season, Wagner's Die Walküre.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - A September 26th performance from the Bel Canto Festival in Rome of Bellini's Norma, with Micaela Carosi, Sonia Ganassi, Gregory Kunde, Simon Orfila, Alessandra Volpe and Massimiliano Tonsini, conducted by Kent Nagano.
- KING - Later on this evening, a live performance from Seattle Opera of Strauss's Elektra, with Janice Baird, Irmgard Vilsmaier, Rosalind Plowright, Richard Margison and Alfred Walker, conducted by Lawrence Renes.