Offerings for Saturday, 12/06/08
The biggest news today is definitely Gary Lehman's first MET broadcast, and in the role of Tristan! It doesn't get any more heart-in-mouth than that. We so fervently hope that he will match his tremendous impact of last season, when he filled in for a few evening performances to great acclaim (signs seem promising today, considering REG's review of his one evening appearance this season this past Tuesday).
Here are some special offerings this afternoon:
- Metropolitan Opera Radio Network - From the Metropolitan Opera, Wagner's Tristan und Isolde, with Gary Lehman making his MET b'cast debut in the role of Tristan; Katarina Dalayman sings Isolde -- and not to be overlooked is Daniel Barenboim, also making his MET b'cast debut at the podium today.
- DR P2 - From Vienna this past October, Roberto Alagna and Angela Gheorghiu star in Gounod's Faust, with Bertrand de Billy conducting.
- France Musique - A new aspirant to Anne Boleyn's crown of thorns, Ermonela Jaho takes on Donizetti's fearsome heroine in his Anna Bolena, with Sonia Ganassi as Seymour; Evelino Pido conducts.
- NPR World of Opera - Monteverdi's Coronation of Poppea stars Susan Graham (Poppea), William Burden (Nero) and Frederica von Stade (Ottavia); William Lacey conducts.
- Radio Oesterreich International - Daniela Barcellona is heard in Rossini's Maometto II, with Michele Pertusi in the title role and Gustav Kuhn at the podium.
- CESKY ROZHLAS-D-Dur - Reinhard Keiser's rarely heard Croesus stars Roman Trekel and Dorothea Röschmann, with René Jacobs conducting.
- Espace 2 - Cherubini's Médée features Anna Caterina Antonacci, Giuseppe Filianoti and Sara Mingardo in the leading roles, with Evelino Pidò conducting.