Saturday, May 31, 2008
First off, starting at noon today, we are treated to one of the towering masterpieces in all opera, Janacek's Jenufa, starring today's leading interpreter of the title role, Karita Mattila, surrounded by a cast of distinguished colleagues, including Eva Urbanova, Kim Begley and Jorma Silvasti! Accomplished Janacek maestro James Conlon is at the podium:
- KUSC - Janacek's Jenufa, with Karita Mattila, conducted by James Conlon, from the Los Angeles Opera.
Then starting at 1:00PM:
- FRANCE MUSIQUE - Gluck's Iphigénie en Tauride, starring Mireille Delunsch and Stéphane Degout, under the baton of Ivor Bolton, from the Opéra Garnier.
- Lyric Opera of Chicago (numerous stations) - A broadcast of Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin, with either Dmitri Hvorostovsky or Mariusz Kwiecien in the title role (different sources conflict here) and Sir Andrew Davis conducting.
Starting at 1:30PM:
- CATALUNYA MÚSICA / RADIO CLASICA DE ESPANA / RTP ANTENA 2 - Wagner's Die Walküre in a star-studded cast, including, in order of appearance, Placido Domingo, Waltraud Meier, Rene Pape, Alan Held and others; Sebastian Weigle conducts, at the Gran Teatro del Liceo.
- BARTOK RADIO - A re-broadcast of a splendid performance of Verdi's La Traviata, which this listener heard when first aired some weeks back, featuring today's budding dramatic coloratura Krasimira Stojanova in the title role, and worthy colleagues Piotr Beczala and Zeljko Lucic as Germont fils and pere; conducted by Renato Palumbo.
- NPR World of Opera on a number of stations - A broadcast of Donizetti's Maria Stuarda, with Patrizia Ciofi in the title role and Luciano Acocella conducting.
- RADIO OESTERREICH INTERNATIONAL - Francisco Casanova stars in Verdi's I due Foscari, conducted by Bertrand de Billy (re-broadcast at 3:00PM over LYRIC FM).
- VPR CLASSICAL - Cesare Valletti stars in Rossini's La gazza ladra.
Starting at 2:00PM:
- CESKY ROZHLAS 3 - VLTAVA - Verdi's Attila with a cast that includes Hasmik Papian and Paolo Gavanelli -- Ildar Abdrazakov is heard in the title role.
- ESPACE 2 - From the Opéra Bastille, a re-broadcast of Berg's Wozzeck, from this past April, featuring Simon Keenlyside in the title role and Angela Denoke as Marie; Sylvain Cambreling conducts.
- KLARA - Laura Claycomb and Toby Spence are the two principals in Stravinsky's Rake's progress, conducted by Edward Gardner.
All these offerings and much more on hand for all operatic tastes on this day of web-casting.