Live Offerings - Saturday, January 17, 2009
The last two or three weeks we have been away or sick with nasty colds (or both). It's good to be back. We did manage to attend the opening night of Orfeo et Euridice at the Met last Friday night, and a memorable night it was. Stephanie Blythe was simply amazing, her warm, round, rock-solid tone rolling effortlessly out into the auditorium. Danielle Deniese was a lovely partner for her. We hope fervently that Ms. Blythe, who canceled due to illness earlier this week, will be back in shining form for the broadcast and HD-cast next Saturday. If you can see a performance with her, run, don't walk!
And now to the live offerings for this Saturday. Broadcast on a delayed basis, the Met will be featuring a November performance of Adams's Doctor Atomic.
- Metropolitan Opera (numerous stations) - A November performance of Adams's Doctor Atomic, with Richard Paul Fink, Gerald Finley, Thomas Glenn, Sasha Cooke, Eric Owens, Earle Patriarco, Roger Honeywell and Meredith Arwady, conducted by Alan Gilbert.
- CeskyRozhlas 3-Vltava - Janacek's Makropoulos Case, with Gun-Brit Barkmin, Gianluca Zampieri, Jan Markvart, Alžbe(ta Polác(ková, Martin Bárta, Tomáš Kor(ínek, Gustáv Belác(ek, Bohuslav Maršík, Lenka Šmídová and Stanislava Jirku, conducted by Tomáš Hanus.
- KBIA2 - NPR World of Opera, From Houston Grand Opera, Bizet's Carmen, with Beatrice Uria-Monzon, Marcus Haddock, Jessica Jones, Raymond Aceto, Ryan McKinny, Heidi Stober, Fiona Murphy. Liam Bonner and Steven Cole, conducted by Sebastian Lang-Lessing.
- Lyric FM & Radio Slovenia Tretje - Airing the Met's Doctor Atomic at GMT 1830/EST 1:30pm (on a half hour delay).
- Radio Oesterreich International - From Großen Konzerthaussaal in Vienna, Handel's Aci, Galatea e Polifemo, with Gillian Webster, Barbara Kozelj and Christopher Purves , conducted by Paul McCreesh.
- Radio Clasica de Espana &Espace 2 - From English National Opera, a July 5, 2008 performance of Bernstein's Candide, with Toby Spence, Alex Jennings, Marnie Beckenridge, Beverley Klein, Mairead Buicke, Mark Stone, Ferlyn Brass, James Glenister, Simon Butterriss, Adrian Brand, Graeme Danby, Philip Sheffield, Claire Mitcher and Thierry Laurion, conducted by Rumon Gamba.
- WOMR - Carries the Met broadcast, but after the end of Doctor Atomic, will be featuring Two Great Russian Baritones: Pavel Lisitsian and Dmitri Hvorostovsky.
- WDAV - NPR World of Opera, on a one week delayed basis: From Paris national Opera, Smetana'a Bartered Bride, with Christiane Oelze, Ales Briscein, Oleg Bryjak, Pippa Longworth, Franz Hawlata, Christoph Homberger, Stefan Kocan , Helene Schneiderman and Franz Hawlata, conducted by Heinz Zednik.