Saturday, May 2, 2009 - Part 1
With the ending of the Metropolitan Opera's radio season, a number of American stations are now abundant with varied offerings, from unusual historic recordings taken "live" during radio seasons of yesteryear to today's new productions from Chicago and elsewhere, featuring the stars of today and maybe tomorrow. WQXR offers Joan Sutherland and Fritz Wunderlich in the first flush of their success in Handel's Alcina . . . Bullock, Goerke, and Mishura headline WETA's Elektra . . . Chicago Opera launches its broadcast series with Dessay and J. Kaufmann in the Massenet Manon. Here are some few highlights from a very crowded day, all starting at GMT 1700/EDT 1:00PM:
- DR P2 - From this past March at Covent Garden, Wagner's Flying Dutchman, starring Bryn Terfel, with Hans Peter König, Anja Kampe, Torsten Kerl, Clare Shearer and John Tessier, conducted by Marc Albrecht.
- Radio Clasica de Espana - Nikolai Putilin stars in Tchaikovsky's masterpiece, his Mazeppa, under Maestro Jurowski.
- VPR Classical - from the 2006 Salzburg Festival, Anna Netrebko and Ildebrando D'Arcangelo headline Mozart's Nozze di Figaro.
- WETA - From Washington National Opera, Strauss's Elektra, starring Susan Bullock (Elektra), Christine Goerke (Chrysothemis), Irina Mishura (Clytaemnestra), Daniel Sumegi (Orestes), Alan Woodrow (Aegisthus); Heinz Fricke conducts.
- Chicago Opera (on numerous stations) - Massenet's Manon: Manon: Natalie Dessay, Des Grieux: Jonas Kaufmann, Lescaut: Christopher Feigum, Count des Grieux: Raymond Aceto, Guillot: David Cangelosi, Bretigny: Jake Gardner; CONDUCTOR: Emmanuel Villaume.
- WQXR - An historic landmark of yesteryear, the youthful Joan Sutherland and Fritz Wunderlich lead an archival performance of Handel's Alcina with a cast that also includes Nicola Monti; Ferdinand Leitner conducts.
More offerings to follow for later this afternoon . . . . .