Live Offerings - Saturday, July 25, 2009
Bayreuth Festival 2009 starts today with a performance of Tristan und Isolde! Our Bayreuth Page will tell you who is broadcasting which performances.
Also on the boards today is Handel's Theodora from the Salzburg Festival, with Bejun Mehta, Chritine Shafer and Bernarda Fink; another chance to hear the First Night of the Proms; and Iphigenie en Tauride from Rome with Krassimira Stoyanova.
Here's the live lineup:
- 11 stations - From Bayreuth, the opening night of the 2009 Bayreuth Festival: Tristan und Isolde, with Robert Dean Smith, Iréne Theorin and Robert Holl.
- Radio 4 Netherlands, Catalunya Musica, Latvia Radio Klasika, Radio Oesterreich International (OE1), and Sveriges Radio P2 - From the Salzburg Festival, Handel's Theodora, with Christine Schäfer, Bejun Mehta, Johannes Martin Kränzle, Joseph Kaiser Bernarda Fink and Ryland Davies, conducted by Ivor Bolton.
- CBC Two - From Queen of Puddings Music Theater, a February 2009 performance of Rolfes's Ines, with Inês Santos, Giles Tomkins, Shannon Mercer, Thomas Goerz and Elizabeth Turnbull, conducted by Dáirine Ní Mheadhra and John Hess.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - From Staatstheater Braunschweig, a May 5 performance of Spohr's Der Alchymist, with Bernd Weikl, Moran Abouloff, Jörg Dürrmüller, Jan Zinkler, Susanna Pütters and Mike Garling, conducted by Christian Fröhlich.
- DR P2 - Offenbach's Tales of Hoffmann, with Nikolai Shukoff, Anne Margrethe Dahl, Louise Fribo, Gitta-Maria Sjöberg, Hanne Fischer, Kjeld Christoffersen og Bengt-Ola Morgny, conducted by Marc Soustrot.
- Espace Musique - A double bill: Gluck's Orphée et Eurydice, with Topi Lehtipuu, Maria Riccarda Wesseling and Magali Léger, conducted by Jérôme Rhorer; and Cherubini's Lodoïska, with Sofia Solovivy, Tadeusz Szlenkier, Alexander Kröner, Lionel Lhote, Wojtek Gierlach, Remigiusz Lukomski, Elia Susmanek and Anna Marchwinska (pianos), and Paul Émile Deiber (récitant), conducted by Lukasz Borowicz.
- RTP Antena 2 - Another chance to hear the Washington National Opera performance of Handel's Tamerlano, with Sarah Coburn, Patricia Bardon, Claudia Huckle, David Daniels, Plácido Domingo and Andrew Foster-Williams, conducted by William Lacey.
- WETA - From Teatro dell'Opera in Rome, Gluck's Iphigenie en Aulide, with Krassimira Stoyanova, Alexey Tikhomirov, Avi Klemberg, Ekaterina Gubanova and Beatriz Diaz, conducted by Riccardo Muti.
- WFMT Opera Series (on numerous stations) - From Los Angeles Opera, Braunfels' The Birds, with Désirée Rancatore, Brandon Javanovich, James Johnson, Stacey Tappan, Martin Gantner, Valerie Vinzant, Courtney Taylor, Brian Mulligan, Matthew Moore, John Kimberling, Daniel Armstrong, Renee Sousa, Rebecca Tomlinson, Ayana Haviv, Nicole Fernandes, Tara Victoria Smith, Adriana Manfredi, Helene Quintana, Amber Erwin and Jennifer Wallace, conducted by James Conlon.
- XLNC1 - Another chance to hear Wagner's Die Walkure from Los Angeles Opera, with Plácido Domingo, Anja Kampe, Eric Halfvarson, Vitalij Kowaljow, Linda Watson and Michelle DeYoung, conducted by James Conlon.
- NPR World of Opera - From Washington National Opera, Donizetti's Daughter of the Regiment, with JiYoung Lee, José Bros, Victoria Livengood, Simone Alberghini, Obed Urena, Matthew J. Minor and Madeleine Gray, conducted by Riccardo Frizza.
- WDAV - NPR World of Opera on a one-week delay: From the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, Haydn's Orlando Paladino, with Henriette Bonde-Hansen, Marcel Reijans, Pietro Spagnoli, Elena Monti, Kenneth Tarver, Nikolay Borchev, Martijn Cornet, Peter Gijsbertsen and Laura Cheric, conducted by Alessandro De Marchi.
Happy listening . . . .