Live Offerings - Saturday, August 16, 2009
The 2009 Bayreuth Ring Cycle continues this weekend on five German stations - Siegfried on Saturday and Gotterdammerung on Sunday . . . Another Ring Cycle, from Seattle Opera gets underway this afternoon . . . Simon Boccanegra from San Francisco Opera . . . from Prague, Janacek's Makropoulos Affair . . . from Potsdam Sanssouci, Haydn's L'Infidelta Delusa . . . Rossini's Zelmira from Pesaro . . . Gilbert and Sullivsan's Patience, Purcell's The Fairy Queen and a Beethoven Ninth Symphony from the Proms in London . . . and more.
Here's the complete lineup:
- Bayern 4 Klassik, MDR Figaro, NDR Kultur, RBB Kulturradio & WDR3 - From the 2009 Bayreuth Festival, Wagner's Siegfried; and on Sunday catch Gotterdammerung.
- WFMT Opera Series (on numerous stations) - From San Francisco Opera, Verdi's Simon Boccanegra, with Dimitri Hvorostovsky, Barbara Frittoli, Marcus Haddock, Vitalij Kowalojow and Patrick Carfizzi, conducted by Donald Runnicles.
- CBC Two - From the National Theatre in Prague, Janacek's Makropoulos Affair, with Gun-Brit Barkmin, Gustáv Belácek, Gianluca Zampieri and Alzbeta Polácková, conducted by Tomás Hanus.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - From Musikfestspiele Potsdam Sanssouci, a June performance of Haydn's L'Infidelta Delusa, with Gemma Bertagnolli, Raffaella Milanesi, Andreas Karasiak, Daniel Auchincloss and Christian Senn, conducted by Andreas Spering.
- DR P2 - From Pesaro, and August 9 performance of Rossini's Zelmira, with Kate Aldrich, Marianna Pizzolato, Alex Esposito, Juan Diego Flórez and Mirco Palazzi, conducted by Roberto Abbado. Correction: from London, Bellini's I Capuleti e i Montecchi, with Anna Netrebko, Dario Schmunck, Eric Owens, Giovanni Battista Parodi and Elina Garanca, conducted by Mark Elder.
- Espace 2 - From the International Baroque Opera Festival in Beaune, a July 11 performance of Handel's Giulio Cesare in Egitto, with Lawrence Zazzo, Juliette Gastian and Maria Riccarda Wesseling, conducted by Lopez Banzo.
- KBYU - From Los Angeles Opera, Braunfels' The Birds, with Désirée Rancatore, Brandon Javanovich, James Johnson, Stacey Tappan, Martin Gantner, Valerie Vinzant, Courtney Taylor, Brian Mulligan, Matthew Moore, John Kimberling and Daniel Armstrong, conducted by James Conlon.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - From the Proms in London, Gilbert and Sullivan's Patience, with Rebecca Bottone, Felicity Palmer, Pamela Helen Stephen, Elena Xanthoudakis and Sophie-Louise Dann, conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras.
- RTP Antena 2 - From Vienna State Opera, an October 11, 2008 performance of Gounod's Faust, with Angela Gheorghiu, Michaela Selinger, Janina Baechle, Roberto Alagna, Adrian Eröd, Alexandru Moisiuc and Kwangchul Youn, conducted by Bertrand de Billy.
- WETA - From La Scala, Rossini's Il Viaggio a Rheims, with Patricia Ciofi, Annick Massis, Carmela Remigio, Juan F. Gatell Abre, Dmitry Korchak, Alastair Miles, Nicola Ulivieri and Fabio Capitanucci, conducted by Ottavio Dantone.
- XLNC1 - From Los Angeles Opera, Verdi's Requiem, with Adrianne Pieczonka, Stephanie Blythe, Arturo Chacón-Cruz and René Pape, conducted by Placiso Domingo.
- Bartok Radio - From Amsterdam, a June 7 performance of Messiaen's Saint-François d'Assise, with Camilla Tilling, Rod Gilfry (bariton), Hubert Delamboye, Henk Neven, Rom Randle, Donald Kaasch, Armand Arapian, Jan Willem Baljet and André Morsch\, conducted by Ingo Metzmacher.
- BBC Radio 3 & France Musique - From the Royal Albert Hall, Prom 40, a Stravinsky and Beethoven program, including Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, with Rebecca Evans, Caitlin Hulcup, Anthony Dean Griffey and James Rutherford, conducted by Ilan Volkov.
- NPR World of Opera - From Grand Theatre of Geneva, Offenbach's The Tales of Hoffmann, with Marc Laho, Nicolas Cavallier, Stella Dufexis, Patricia Petitbon, Rachel Harnisch, Maria Riccarda Wesseling, Eric Huchet, Francisco Vas, Bernard Deletre, Rene Schirrer and Gilles Cachemaille, conducted by Patrick Davin.
- Radio Oesterreich International (OE1) - From the Metropolitan Opera, an historic broadcast from Feberuary 1, 1947 of Gounod's Roméo et Juliette, with Bidu Sayao, Jussi Björling, Nicola Moscona, John Brownlee, Anthony Marlowe and Mimi Benzell, conducted by Emil Cooper.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - From Läckö slott, a July 29 performance og Rossini's L'Italiana in algeri, with Markus Schwartz, Åsa Danielsson, Astrid Robillard, Andreas Lundmark, Fredrik Strid, Ulrika Skarby and Anders Kjellstrand, conducted by Simon Phipps.
- WDAV - NPR World of Opera on a one-week delay: From Royal Albert Hall, the London Proms performance of Purcell's The Fairy Queen, with Lucy Crowe, Claire Debono, Anna Devin, Carolyn Sampson, Robert Burt, Ed Lyon, Sean Clayton, Adrian Ward and Andrew Foster-Williams.
- KING - From Seattle Opera, recorded live earlier this month, Wagner's Das Rheingold (first installment of a complete Ring cycle to be heard over the next four weeks), with Greer Grimsley, Richard Paul Fink, Stephanie Blythe, Kobie van Rensburg and contralto Maria Streijffert, conducted by Robert Spano.
- Concert FM (New Zealand) - From Teatro Real in Madrid, Monteverdi's Il Ritorno d'Ulisse in Patria, with Terry Way, Luigi Da Donato, Hanna Bayodi-Hirt, Claire Debono, Christine Rice, Marina Rodríguez-Cusí, Ed Lyon, Kobie van Rensburg, Joseph Cornwell, Robert Burt, Cyril Auvity, Humberto Chiummo, Xavier Sabata, Juan Sancho and Sonya Yoncheva, conducted by William Christie.
Happy listening . . .