Live Offerings - Saturday, August 2,, 2009
We are in Geneva, New York, this weekend visting a dear friend and attending two performances of a double bill of Mozart's The Impresario and Gilbert & Sullivan's Trial by Jury at the Smith Opera House, a lovely gem of a house in Geneva built in the 1890's and lovingly restored a decade or so ago. It's been lot's of fun so far. We went to the opening night last night. The production is being directed and conducted by Al Bergeret (of NY Gilbert and Sullivan Players fame). Some lovely singing and acting all around.
And now..... Bayreuth beckons. The broadcast of Götterdämmerung has begun and other nice, juicy live offerings are in the offing for later on today: more Wagner, including rebroadcasts of Meistersinger and Rheingold,
- Dwojke Polski Radio, Radio 4 Netherlands, Radio Clasica de Espana, Bartok RadioCesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - From Bayreuth, the final installment of Wagner's Ring, Götterdämmerung is just underway, with Christian Franz, Ralf Lukas, Hans-Peter König, Andrew Shore, Linda Watson, Edith Haller, Christa Mayer, Simone Schröder, Martina Dike, Edith Haller, Christiane Kohl, Ulrike Helzel and Simone Schröder, conducted by Christian Thielemann.
- MDR Figaro - From Stuttgart, a concert performance of Handel's pastorale, Acis and Galatea, with Christoph Prégardien, Julia Kleiter, Michael Slattery and Wolf Matthias Friedrich, conducted by Nicol Matt.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - Let the rebroadcasts of the Bayreuth Festival begin! Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, with Alan Titus, Artur Korn, Charles Reid, Rainer Zaun, Adrian Eröd, Markus Eiche, Edward Randall, Hans-Jürgen Lazar, Florian Hoffmann,l Martin Snell, Mario Klein, Diógenes Randes, Klaus Florian Vogt, Norbert Ernst, Michaela Kaune, Carola Guber and Friedemann Röhlig, conducted by Sebastian Weigle.
- CBC TWO - A rebroadcast from Vienna State Opera, of Gounod's Faust, with Roberto Alagna, Angela Gheorghiu and Kwangchoul Youn, condcuted by Bertrand de Billy.
- DR P2 - From Den Jyske Opera in Aarhus, an August 2008 performance of Wagner's Der Fliegende Hollander, with John Lundgren, Majken Bjerno, Sten Byriel, Jens Krogsgaard, Mette Ejsing and David Danholt, conducted by Giordano Bellincampi.
- Espace Musique & WETA - A rebroadcast from Théâtre des Champs-Elysées in Paris, of Berlioz' Béatrice et Bénédict, with Joyce Di Donato, Charles Workman, Jean-François Lapointe, Elodie Méchain, Jean-Philippe Laffont and Nathalie Manfrino, conducted by Sir Colin Davis.
- KBYU - From Los Angeles Opera, Wagner's Das Rheingold, with Stacey Tappan, Lauren McNeese, Beth Clayton, Gordon Hawkins, Michelle DeYoung, Vitalij Kowaljow, Ellie Dehn, Morris Robinson,; Eric Halfvarson, Beau Gibson, Wayne Tigges, Arnold Bezuyen, Graham Clark and Jill Grove, conducted by James Conlon.
- RTP Antena 2 - From Budapest, an October 10, 2008 performance of Beethoven's Fidelio, with Tünde Szabócki, Zita Váradi, Thomas Moser, Friedmann Kunder, Attila Fekete, Béla Perencz and Gábor Bretzconducted by Adam Fischer.
- WFMT Opera Series (on numerous stations) - Fron Los Angeles Opera, Weill's Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, with Audra McDonald, Patti LuPone, Anthony Dean Griffey, Robert Wörle, Donnie Ray Albert, John Easterlin, Mel Ulrich, Joe Stevn Humes, Catherine Ireland, Karen Vuong, Rena Harms, Natasha Flores, Sharmay Musacchio, Priti Gandhi, Derek Taylor and Mark Kelley, conducted by James Conlon.
- XLNC1 - From Los Angeles Opera, Braunfels' The Birds, with Désirée Rancatore, Brandon Javanovich, James Johnson, Stacey Tappan, Martin Gantner, Thrush Valerie Vinzant, Courtney Taylor, Brian Mulligan, Matthew Moore, John Kimberling, Daniel Armstrong, Renee Sousa, Rebecca Tomlinson, Ayana Haviv, Nicole Fernandes, Tara Victoria Smith, Adriana Manfredi, Helene Quintana, Amber Erwin and Jennifer Wallace, conducted by James Conlon.
- Bayern 4 Klassik, MDR FIgaro, NDR Kultur, RBB Kulturradio & WDR 3 - These German stations are beginning a four week traversal of this year's Bayreuth Ring, starting today with Das Rheingold, and continuing for the next three Saturdays.
- NPR World of Opera - From Houston Grand Opera, Janacek's Cunning Little Vixen, with Lisa Saffer, Hector Vasquez, Jennifer Root, Ekaterina Gorlova, Fiona Murphy, Meredith F. Flores, Alina Slavik, Jon Kolbet, Allan Lawrence, Maria Markina, Laurie Lester, Rebeka Camm, Albina Shagimuratova, Alicia Gianni, Ryan McKinny, Bradley Garvin, Beau Gibson, Liam Bonner and Tamara Wilson, conducted by Patrick Summers.
- Radio Oesterreich International (OE1) & Concert FM (New Zealand)- A rebroadcast of an April 9th performance from Deutsche Oper Berlin of Respighi's Marie Victoire, with Takesha Meshé Kizart, Markus Brück, German Villar, Stephen Bronk, Jörn Schümann and Simon Pauly, conducted by Michail Jurowski.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - A rebroadcast of a December 3, 2008 performance from opera Bastille in Paris of Werther's Werther, with Rolando Villazon, Susan Graham and Ludovic Tézier, conducted by Kent Nagano.
- Latvia Klasika Radio - A rebroadcast from Royal Opera House Covent Garden in London of Wagner's Der Fliegende Hollander, with Bryn Terfel,Hand Peter Keonig, Anja Kampe and Torsten Kerls, conducted by Mark Albrecht.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - From the Festival della Valle d'Itria, Richard Strauss's revision of Gl;uck's Iphigenie en Tauride (Iphigenie auf Tauris), with Olga Kotlyarova, Liu Song-Hu, Marcello Nardis, Giorgi Turabelidze, Alessandra Gioia, Pietro Lisi and Anna Schiavulli, conducted by Ramon Tebar.
- WDAV - NPR World of Opera on a one week delay: From Washington National Opera, Donizetti's The Daughter of the Regiment, with JiYoung Lee, Jose Bros, Victoria Livengood, Simone Alberghini, Obed Urena, Matthew J. Minor and Madeleine Gray, conducted by Riccardo Frizzi.
- ABC Classic FM (Australia) - From Muziektheater in Amsterdam, Cavalli's Ercole amante (Hercules in Love), with Luca Pisaroni, Veronica Cangemi, Anna Bonitatibus, Jeremy Ovenden, Anna Maria Panzarella, Marlin Miller, Wilke te Brummelstroete, Umberto Chiummo, Johanette Zomer, Mark Tucker and Tim Mead, conducted by Ivor Bolton.
- So far it looks like Bayern 4 Klassik, Bartok Radio and Catalunya Musica will be the only stations carrying tomorrow's Bayreuth Parsifal live, but keep checking our Bayreuth Page, as we will update it if and as we learn more (also the rebroadcast season has begun).