Live Offerings - Saturday, January 9, 2010
Not to be missed: The Met broadcast of Der Rosenkavalier (G and I attended the Wednesday evening performance, and the cast was close to perfection, one of the all-time best performances of this opera either of us had seen). All four principles were wonderful, but Susan Graham's Octavian outshown them all.
There are other things to listen to this aftenoon, including a live live Manon from Vienna with Damrau and Vargas, so let's get right to them:
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - From Mannheim a December 9th performance of Johann Christian Bach's Amadis des Gaules, with Maximilian Schmitt, Cornelia Ptassek, Marie-Belle Sandis, Anne-Theresa Albrecht, Antje Bitterlich and Katrin Wagner, conducted by Reinhard Goebel.
- Metropolitan Opera (on numerous stations) - Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier, with Renée Fleming, Susan Graham, Christine Schäfer, Eric Cutler, Thomas Allen and Kristinn Sigmundsson, conducted by Edo de Waart.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - From Palais Garnier in Paris, Gounod's Mireille, with Inva Mula, Charles Castronovo, Franck Ferrari, Alain Vernhes, Sylvie Brunet, Anne-Catherine Gillet, Sébastien Droy, Nicolas Cavallier and Amel Brahim-Djelloul, conducted by Marc Minkowski.
- KBIA2 & KOHM - NPR World of Opera: From La Sclal in Milan, Monteverdi's Orfeo, with Georg Nigi, Roberta Invernizzi, Sara Mindardo, Luigi De Donato, Raffaella Milanesi, Giovanni B. Parodi and Furio Zanasi, conducted by Rinaldo Alessandrini.
- Radio Oesterreich International (OE1) & Radio Tre (RAI) - From the Vienna State Opera, Massenet's Manon, with Diana Damrau, Ramón Vargas, Dan Paul Dumitrescu, Markus Eiche, Alexander Kaimbacher, Clemens Unterreiner, Simina Ivan, Sophie Marilley and Zoryana Kushpler, conducted by Bertrand de Billy.
- Espace 2 - From Cologne, Mozart's Così fan tutte, with Iulia Isaev, Bernarda Fink, Marcel Reijans, Marcel Boone, Pietro Spagnoli, Graciela Oddone, conducted by René Jacobs.
- Klara - From La Scala, the December 7th opening night performance of Bizet's Carmen, with Anita Rachvelishvili, Jonas Kaufmann, Erwin Schrott, Adriana Damato, Gabor Bretz, Mathias Hausmann, Michèle Losier, Adriana Kucerová, Gabriel Da Costa, Francis Dudziac, Rodolphe Briand and Carmine Maringola, conducted by Daniel Barenboim.
- WDAV - From NPR World of Opera (on a one week delay), a Royal Opera House, Covent Garden performance of Tchaikovsky's The Tsarina's Slippers, with Olga Guryakova, Vsevolod Grivnov, Larissa Diadkova, Vladimir Matorin, ergei Leiferkuss, Maxim Mikhailov, Vyacheslav Voynarovsky, Alexander Vassiliev and John Upperton, conducted by Alexander Polianichko.
- Concert FM (New Zealand) & ABC Classic FM (Australia) - Now that the Antipodes have begun their run of the Met broadcasts, another chance to hear Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann, with Joseph Calleja, Kathleen Kim, Anna Netrebko, Ekaterina Gubanova, Kate Lindsay, Alan Held, Alan Oke, Rodell Rosel, Michael Todd Simpson, Dean Peterson, Mark Schowalter and David Asch, conducted by James Levine.
Happy listening . . . .