Live Offerings - Saturday, October 16, 2010 - Part I
In memory of Dame Joan Sutherland, who died earlier this week, many stations have been running tributes of one sort or another. Some are adding a tribute to their regularly scheduled Saturday broadcasts, and Sveriges Radio P2 is airing the Metropolitan Opera's March 3, 1963 broadcast of Bellini's La Sonnambula, with Sutherland, Gedda and Flagello. VPR Classical and CBC Two will be adding Sutherland tributes after their regular opera broadcasts. The WFMT Opera Series is running Salome from San Francisco this afternoon. Since it is a short opera, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than one of those stations adding some Sutherland material after Salome is over.
Now for the live offerings this afternoon:
- Dwojka Polskie Radio - From Copenhagen, a March 27 performance of Handel's Jephtha, with Ulla Christensen, Eir Inderhaug, Hanne Fischer, Andrew Radley, Paul Agnew and Ludvig Lindström, conducted by Lars Ulrik Mortensen.
- BBC Radio 3 - From the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Strauss's Salome, with Andrew Staples, Sarah Castle, Nicolas Courjal, Alan Ewing, Johan Reuter,John Cunningham, Angela Denoke,Gerhard Siegel, Irina Mishura, Adrian Thompson, Robert Anthony Gardiner, Hubert Francis, Steven Ebel, Jeremy White,Vuyani Mlinde and Dawid Kimberg, conducted by Harmut Haenchen.
- CBC Two - Scarlatti's Carlo, Re d'Alemagna, with Roberta Invernizzi and Romina Basso, conducted by Fabio Biondi.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - From Deutsche Staatsoper Unter den Linden Berlin, a 1992 performance of Busoni's Die Brautwahl, with Siegfried Vogel, Dalia Schaechter, Peter Kazaras, Robert Swensen, Peter Menzel, Roman Trekel and Oscar Hillebrandt, conducted by Daniel Barenboim.
- DR P2 - From Los Angeles, a December 2009 performand of Rossini's Il Barbiere di Siviglia, with Nathan Gunn, Juan Diego Flórez, Joyce Di Donato, Bruno Praticò, Andrea Silfestrelli, Keri Marcinko, José Adán Pérez and Craig Colclough, conducted by Michele Mariotti.
- Espace Musique - From the Canadian Opera Company, Donizetti's Maria Stuarda, with Serena Farnocchia, Alexandrina Pendatchanska, Eric Cutler, Patrick Carfizzi and Weston Hurt, conducted by Ileana Montalbetti.
- KBYU - From Utah Opera, a March performance of Donizetti's The Italian Girl in Algiers, with Leah Wool, Rod Nelman, Brian Stucki, Daniel Belcher, Anna Vikre, Brent Reilly Turner and Stina Eberhardt, conducted by Christopher Larkin.
- KBIA2, KOHM, WABE Classical, WDAV, WHQR, WPLN & WUGA - NPR World of Opera: From Itria Valley Festival in Martina Franca, Italy, Handel's Rodelinda, with Sonia Ganassi, Franco Fagioli, Paolo Fanale, Gezim Myshketa, Marina de Liso and Antonio Giovannini, conducted by Diego Fasolis.
- KUSF - From San Francisco Opera, a 2008 performance of Handel's Ariodante, with Susan Graham, Ruth Ann Swenson, Veronica Cangemi, Sonia Prina, Richard Croft and Eric Owens, conducted by Patrick Summers.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - Wagner's Die Walküre, with Michael Weinius, Gregory Frank, Harry Peeters, Kelly God and Judith Nemeth, conducted by Ed Spanjaard.
- RTP Antena 2 - From the Bayreuth Festival, a 2010 performance of Wagner's Siegfried, with Lance Ryan, Wolfgang Schmidt, Albert Dohmen, Andrew Shore, Diógenes Randes, Christa Mayer, Linda Watson and Christiane Kohl, conducted by Christian Thielemann.
- WETA - From Washington Concert Opera, a May 2010 performance of Rossini's La Cenerentola, with Daniele Lorio, Magdalena Wór, Vivica Genaux, Eugene Galvin, Eduardo, Kenneth Tarver and Daniel Mobbs, conducted by Anthony Walker.
- WFMT Opera Series (on numerous stations) - From San Francisco Opera, Strauss's Salome, with Nadja Michael, Irina Mishura, Kim Begley, Greer Grimsley, Garrett Sorenson, Elizabeth DeShong, Beau Gibson, Robert MacNeil, Matthew O’Neill, Corey Bix, Jeremy Milner, Andrew Funk, Bojan Knezevic, Julien Robbins, Austin Kness, Kenneth Kellogg and Renee Tatum, conducted by Nicola Luisotti.
- WRTI - From San Francisco Opera, Puccini's La Fanciulla del West, with Deborah Voigt, Salvatore Licitra, Roberto Frontali, Steven Cole, Timothy Mix, Kevin Langan, Brian Jagde, David Lomeli, Matthew O'Neill, Austin Kness, Kenneth Overton, Trevor Scheunemann, Igor Vieira, Brian Leerhuber, Maya Lahyani, Jeremy Milner and Christopher Jackson, conducted by Nicola Luisotti.
- Bartok Radio - A December 7, 2009 performance of Verdi's Macbeth, with Simon Keenlyside, Stefan Kocán, Erika Sunnegardh, Dimitri Pittas, Németi Gergely, Donna Ellen and Alfred Sramek.
- France Musique - From Opéra Bastille, Puccini's Il Trittico, with Juan Pons,
- Marco Berti, Eric Huchet, Mario Luperi, Sylvie Valayre, Marta Moretto, Tamar Iveri, Luciana D'Intino, Barbara Morihien, Marie-Noëlle Vidal, Marie-Thérèse Keller, Amel Brahim-Djelloul, Claudia Galli, Cornelia Oncioiu, Ekaterina Syurina, Marta Moretto, Juan Francisco Gatell, Eric Huchet, Barbara Morihien, Alain Vernhes, Mario Luperi, Roberto Accurso, Marie-Thérèse Keller, Yuri Kissin, Maestro Spinelloccio, Christian Helmer, Ugo Rabec, Alexandre Duhamel.
- NRK Klassisk & NRK P2 - From the Vienna State Opera, an October 10 performance of Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia, with Michele Pertusi, Edita Gruberova, Laura Polverelli and José Bros, conducted by Friedrich Haider.
- Radio Oesterreich International (OE1) - From Theater an der Wien, an October 9 performance of Strauss's Ariadne auf Naxos, with Anne Schwanewilms, Mari Eriksmoen, Heidi Brunner, Johan Botha and Jochen Schmeckenbecher, conducted by Bertrand de Billy.
- Sveriges P2 - From the Metropolitan Opera, a March 3, 1963 broadcast of Bellini's La Sonnambula, with Joan Sutherland, Nicolai Gedda and Ezio Flagello, conducted by Silvio Varviso.
More to come. Stay tuned for Part II....